1PW 4 for MAC, with 1.3 and Windows version

Options
johncarn
johncarn
Community Member

Hey guys,

I was a beta tester for 1PW4 for Mac, and loved the product. I have 4 laptops, a mac mini and a windows laptop, as well as multiple IOS devices that share the same store via Dropbox.

So here is something odd when I my older versions of 1PW were added, they all synced 200+ records. Now, I was pretty sure I read somewhere that even though 1PW4 has a different file structure, that it still saved a version of the record to make it downward compatible. If that were the case, then I probably shouldn't be seeing that many sync messages. To make things worse, now it looks like changes from 1 device are not on antoher, so the sync from 1PW3 is not making it to 1PW4. Is that how it's going to work? I know, working to get them all upgraded, but it's with the IOS devices and Windows as well. Having the same issue.

One other thing. Maybe it has something to do with it, maybe not. When I built my 1PW database initially, way back when, I put it in the root of the Dropbox folder on Mac. Now I want to share it with my version that runs on Windows. Unfortunately, I can' (nor do I want) to share the entire folder because it's personal vs. work computers. So, I had to create a folder to share with my id on my work machine. I forget exactly what I did, but basically turned the 1PW4 data store into a folder so it could be shared specifically with other machines. Like I said, not sure if that's what caused the problems, but that seems to be about the time I started running into problems. Of course, that may have also been the time I was upgrading to the OS Store version. Don't really remember.

Any suggestions? I use this app extensively for both personal, work, and my personal business, to keep customer notes, logins, wallet info, license keys, etc. Not having the same information on my MAC and my iPhone or Windows machine is going to be a huge issue.

To close, even if I have to re-build the data store (if that's possible) to get things straightened out, no worries. I'll do what it takes. I need this to work.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. If you want details of version between devices, let me know.

jc

Comments

• johncarn
    johncarn
    Community Member
    Options

bump

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @johncarn,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

Now, I was pretty sure I read somewhere that even though 1PW4 has a different file structure, that it still saved a version of the record to make it downward compatible.

You're right. Storing your 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox makes it accessible to both 1Password 3 and 1Password 4.

The default location for your keychain is Dropbox/1Password. If you just have your 1Password.agilekeychain at the root of your Dropbox folder, and are sharing this instead of the 1Password folder, it could explain your sync issue. I'd really like to confirm my suspicions though, before I give you instructions on how to get this all fixed up.

Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report for the computer running 1Password 4?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.