Folder sync syncing between macs doesn't sync new Master PW

Options
kaylog
kaylog
Community Member

Hi, I sync my documents regularly between my MP and MBA (2012) using Chronosync 442. After changing the master PW on my MP and syncing I noticed that the new PW did not work on my MBA, not even after several sync operations. The 1PW (v. 4) keychain folder is in my documents. Am I doing something wrong?

OS 10.8.5

Thanks.

Comments

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hey @kaylog, you're not doing anything wrong - master passwords actually don't sync. You'll need to manually change it on all devices.

Details as said by @dteare:

First off, the Master Password is never written to disk so the Master Password itself does not sync. I don't think this is what you were asking but I wanted to make sure anyone else reading this thread got that impression.

What can be synced to the other devices is your encryption keys which are encrypted using your Master Password. The emphasis is on "can" because at this moment when you change your Master Password on Mac we do not update these encryption keys on your sync source (e.g. Dropbox or iCloud). It means after changing your Master Password you will need to also change your password on the other devices.

We want to add the ability to automatically change the Master Password in a future update as it will make things a lot simpler.

Hope that helps! :D

• kaylog
    kaylog
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that's interesting. I observed that syncing a 1PW4 keychain to my work MP with 1PW3 installed does sync the masterPW, though. So it's a feature not yet implemented in v4 as you write.

This discussion has been closed.