Mac App Store - Getting the Latest Version

Options
ahatheway
ahatheway
Community Member

I have the MAS version. It currently shows release 4.0.5. Am I safe to install from the link in the release notes to get up to 4.0.9? Or do I need to wait for Apple to get off their rump and approve the update in the Mac Apple Store?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You should wait for Apple, as the two versions differ in where they store data.

Stephen

• saunderscc
    saunderscc
    Community Member
    Options

Along a similar line, if I originally purchased and download from Agilebits, can I/should I move to the App Store version? Does it matter?

Thanks,
    CCS

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@saunderscc, only you can take that decision but the following may help you to do so:

1. Do you use, or want to use, iCloud to sync 1P4 between a Mac and mobile devices? If so, look at this knowledge base article (but bear in mind at the moment the version of 1P4 from AgileBits also supports iCloud unofficially (see post #3 in the linked thread, which is on the beta forum)).
    2. There is a difference between the AgileBits' family licence and the way the Mac App Store enables you to run more than one copy. There is a helpful explanation in post #2 of this thread.
    3. The general trend expressed in forum posts seems to be for people to want to move from the Mac App Store version to the AgileBits store version because of access to speedier updates with the AgileBits store version.

As to whether you can move to the Mac App Store version, it's possible (this article in the knowledge base will give you a good idea of what has to be done in the technical sense). I suspect, though, you'd have to pay for the Mac App Store version.

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.