1P4 won't open, "Check with the developer…" message

Options
Larry Singer
Larry Singer
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

I'm getting the following message in safari "Check with the developer to make sure 1Password 4 works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.

Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple."

Mind you, I had already successfully used 1password just minutes before.

I have 10.8.5

Comments

• Sasha Forsyth
    Sasha Forsyth
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

I also have this exact same problem. I am also running 10.8.5. This occurred after it automatically updated itself. I actually cannot open the application at all, from anywhere.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hey guys,

I'm sorry you're both having this problem with 1Password. It could be an application and/or system issue so let's start in that order …

Which version of 1Password is currently installed, from the Mac App Store or Agile Web Store? Have you tried manually removing and reinstalling only the application (leaving your data as-is)? How recently has your system been restarted? Have you seen a similar "Check with the developer…" message with any other software or just 1Password?

Even if your OS X system software is up-to-date it may have issues causing the symptom you're having with 1Password that installing the OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.5 (Combo) updater can resolve. But before doing that it would be much easier and quicker to start with 1Password application reinstallation.

If you'd like to get more help resolving this through email please send a Diagnostics Report from your Mac that's having the problem; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic and your forum username in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. Thank you!

• ecelis
    ecelis
    Community Member
    Options

After last update to v4.1.1, the application does not open and I get an error message "1Password 4 cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure 1Password 4 works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X. I have Mac OS 10.8.5. Interestingly, this only happens with my iMac Intel Core i5 and not in my MacBook Air, which has same versions of software.

• @ecelis Have you tried deleting 1Password and reinstalling it?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ecelis.

I've merged your topic with another also reporting this problem. Please refer to my previous reply (#3) for suggestions how to handle it. Thanks!

• homi85
    homi85
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

I would love to follow the instructions in #3, but as my 1P4 won't even launch, I cannot send you the Diagnostics report. Please advise as to how to continue from here to resolve the issues above. I am leery of deleting or unistalling 1Password, in that I may lose valuable data. I may be green, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks in advance!!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @homi85,

A separate 1Password Troubleshooting utility is used to generate the Diagnostics Report and doesn't require 1Password. Instructions for downloading and running it can be found in:

Help us by sending a diagnostic report

Deleting just the 1Password application (e.g. by dragging it to Trash, then running Empty Trash) will not touch any of your 1Password data. We recommend not using separate uninstaller apps to delete 1Password because they can sometimes remove its data, which is rarely intended.

If you need more help with this or anything else please let us know. Enjoy your weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.