1Password 4 for Mac Updating Safari Browser Extension from 1Password 3 to 4 Not As Prescribed

Options
chazzunokuthunuchtec
chazzunokuthunuchtec
Community Member

This topic may affect users upgrading from 1Password 3 to 4, and may offer a solution when AgileBits/1Password email support is not quickly available.
I noticed a problem upgrading 1Password 3 to 1Password 4, specifically related to the Safari browser extension updating from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4. After upgrading 1Password it became obvious the browser extension required a separate upgrade. After may 1Password main app I went too fast to update the browser extension, and when I removed my 1Password 3 browser extension and put in the 1Password 4 browser extension I lost password data. After the data loss I looked online and then found their instructions (which didn’t work for me): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/v3-extensions.html . Here is my story, and the band-aid that helped.
Note: my 1Password for Mac is synced to Dropbox so that my 1Password for Windows can be in sync; but the 1Password for iOS is synced manually (so that I can have my passwords un-altered in case I accidentally lose data on the Mac or Windows, and so that I can have a secure way to locally update 1Password for iOS).
Short answer: update 1Password 3 to 1Password 4, but do not update the 1Password browser extension until much time passes and 1Password 4 has run some of its own automatic backups. The update instructions for the extension don’t work (unless they’ve been corrected), so you’ll have to “lose data” with the wrong way of updating the extension, and then restore from a 1Password 4 for Mac automatic backup.
Longer answer: So, I lost data; like their article warns. But the data only appeared to be missing from my 1Password for Mac. I cannot explain why (considering the dropbox sync which should make 1Password for Windows have or be missing the same data); but it started about the time I upgraded or perhaps more specifically when - on the Mac - I removed the old browser extensions and put in the new.
I still tried to find solutions.
1Password for Mac (with or without syncing) uses a file 1Password.agilekeychain, which I may copy using iTunes onto my iPhone (go to apps, select 1Password, click add, and give the iPhone 1Password app the 1Password.agilekeychain file that is used on my iMac). I never overwrote the iPhone file after I noticed the Mac 1Password missing data, so all the passwords still existed in 1Password.agilekeychain on my iPhone. I tried to then copy 1Password.agilekeychain from the iPhone to the Mac, and it appeared to work but the file must have not allowed “write” access because the date/time it was modified reverted back to how it was before I tried to overwrite it with the file from my iPhone. So copying 1Password.agilekeychain from the iPhone to the Mac didn’t work.
I have used Time Capsule to restore the computer to before the 1Password 4 update. I got my data back by doing a system restore to the date when I still had 1Password 3 and all my passwords. I then updated 1Password 3 (for Mac) to 1Password 4 using the Mac App Store, but I did not update the browser extension because I didn’t want to lose the data again. To safely update the extension this time, I referred to the agilebits instructions, via the link I pasted earlier. The problem is that the directions don't help, and I will explain.
At one point the directions say to quit 1Password 4 and 1Password Mini. They then say to save a new login using the 1Password 3 browser extension. I hit the + symbol and it doesn't save. I had it update a login. Then I went to a new page/site and logged in and it prompted me to save, and I saved it as "1Password 3 is up to date!". Your instructions then say to open 1Password 3 (main app) and verify that the new login is there. How can I open 1Password 3 main app!? The main app is now 1Password 4. And the update to the login (where I had saved a new password using the extension) didn't keep/show in the main app. Also, the new login that I had saved doesn't keep. This is where the directions don't help. It's new login doesn't keep, and I cannot open 1Password 3 as the directions say. How are they going to direct me to close 1Password 4, use the old extension to save a login, and then open 1Password 3?
I have not proceeded, this time, to remove the extension because I don't want to experience the same data loss this time around that I did last time.

Comments

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

I tried to use paragraphs (for readability) but the discussion board removed the paragraphs when I posted the discussion. Hopefully it still helps the people who want to know.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

add

an

extra line

in

between.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

I thought I did. Are you mentioning more than just a new line? I'll try it now.

This is now a new paragraph with an extra line, and not just a single new line.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

Ha! Thanks MrC. It seems new lines or carriage returns alone are not sufficient to retain the pre-formatted paragraphs; so I will use your suggestion. Thank you again!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chazzunokuthunuchtec,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had some difficulty with the upgrade process. Thanks so much for sharing your story here. It sounds like you managed to get everything sorted out, but if you do require any further assistance, please send me a message here and I'll be happy to help you out! :)

This discussion has been closed.