1P v4 + Chrome extension works on Mac, fails on Windows

Options
dtrimble
dtrimble
Community Member

I'm using 1P 4.0.9 on my Mac. BTW -- it's beautiful, and the best version you've ever done. Thanks for the awesome new version!

I use Chrome as my default browser on all my systems because it is a truly cross-platform browser that effortlessly syncs everything across each device. I'm using Chrome's latest build on my Mac (Mavericks), my office PC (Windows 7), my iPad, and my iPhone. And I also have 1P for Windows running on the PC.

One of the things Chrome does is sync your browser extensions across devices too.

This used to work beautifully. I had my 1P extension in Chrome, and accessed all my passwords from any of my devices (they all pull 1P data from Dropbox) without issue.

Then you had to update the Chrome extension when 1P4 came out, because it appears it needs to talk with 1P mini in order to function. That makes sense, BUT...

Now the Chrome extension doesn't work at all from within Chrome for Windows. I get an error:

screenshot

It seems I can still run 1P for Windows and access my data, but I've lost the ability to access passwords from within the browser :(

Chrome doesn't allow selectively syncing a specific extension; it's all or none. So unfortunately I can't tell it to sync everything except the 1P extension to Chrome on my PC.

I suppose I could install both the new (4.x) and old (3.x) 1P extensions for Chrome, and have them both sync across devices. I'd just struggle to remember which to use where as they have the same icons. But short of that annoying but hopefully temporary inconvenience, is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@dtrimble 1Password 3 (and 1Password for Windows) require the version 3 extension. 1Password 4 requires the version 4 extension. Unfortunately I don't think there's any way around it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dtrimble,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

Unfortunately, at this point I don't have a perfect answer for you. @JasperP is right: Windows and Mac currently require a different version of the extension. So to have each extension where you need it, you will need to disable extension sync in Chrome.

I can tell you though, that this inconvenience is temporary! 1Password 4 for Windows is just entered beta testing. As soon as it is available for the public, this messy extension issue will be all sorted out. If you'd like to solve the issue even sooner, you could sign up to help us beta-test! Please check out our blog post here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/11/13/1password-4-for-windows-is-coming-want-to-help-beta-test/ ;)

• dtrimble
    dtrimble
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan and @JapserP, thank you both. That's what I suspected, but wanted to make sure. I'm glad it's temporary though! And I have no problem with the risks of a beta version, and have beta tested many 1P versions before. I've just added my email address to the beta newsletter, so I will eagerly, eagerly, eagerly await an invite...

Thanks,
    Dan

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dtrimble,

Thanks so much for understanding, and for signing up! We'd love your help with beta testing :) I know the group might be small to start, but we'll be growing it slowly. If you don't see an invite right away, just be as patient as possible ... it will come!

This discussion has been closed.