Error message when I try to sync to 1password iOS with iTunes file sharing

Options
duelist77
duelist77
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

In iTunes with my iOS device connected, when I go to [iOS device] > App > File Sharing and try to add the agilekeychain file to copy to the iOS device, I often get the error message:

"'1Password.agilekeychain' could not be copied because an error occurred. The device is not connected."

What's going on? Is the iTunes file sharing for 1password broken?

Comments

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member
    Options

Which versions of the desktop and iOS apps are you using? I think that they depreciated iTunes file sync in the latest versions in favor of Wi-Fi sync.

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hey @duelist77,

First of all, if you'd like to double check that you're doing everything correctly, here are the instructions on iTunes file sharing.

That doesn't really sound like an error with 1Password. It seems like iTunes is having trouble. Is your device connected to your Mac with a USB cable when you get this error? Have you tried restarting iTunes? Are you able to transfer files to other iOS apps using iTunes file sharing (if you have any with the capability)?

On a separate note:

You might already know this (even though you used the word "sync" in the title), but just to be clear, iTunes File Sharing isn't a "sync" solution. You'll need to manually transfer the data file back and forth between Mac and iOS each time you want to update the data from one to the other. It’s more of a transfer - you replace the data on your iOS device with the data on the Mac (or vice-versa).

If you're interested in a true local "sync" solution, maybe check out wifi sync (requires 1Password 4 on Mac and iOS).

Hope that helps! :D

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP,

Yes I understand that with iTunes file sharing, it's full replacement, which is fine with me.

Re the error message, it doesn't always appear, sometimes adding the agilekeychain file seems to work fine. But now I find that when I do the Tunes sync to the iPhone, 1password iOS isn't grabbing all of the passwords in the agilekeychain file. For example, before I had 2 items in the vault on the Mac, and after the sync the 2 items showed up in the vault on the iPhone. Later I add more items to the vault on the Mac, and after the sync, on the iPhone it's still the same 2 items from the earlier iPhone vault; the iOS side didn't get the new items somehow.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @duelist77,

I'm sorry to hear that iTunes file sharing isn't working well for you. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of troubleshooting for this. It is generally intended as a restore solution more than a consistent trick to keep your iOS updated. As @JasperP suggests, I recommend checking out Wi-Fi sync.

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan,

If by restoring, you mean copy the vault on the computer wholesale to the ios device, I actually prefer that since I manage the vault centrally on the computer. It's how I used PC KeePass and iOS MiniKeePass before - use itunes to copy the .kdbx file in its entirety to the ios device.

That said, it's disheartening to hear that 1password is treating transferring the vault through itunes as a secondary concern. Wireless syncing is not always better and should not be the sole means of syncing/transferring. So I would like 1password to have at least one serious, working wired solution for syncing/transferring the vault.

Also, I just tried the Wi-Fi sync and it's not working either - I'm getting an error message saying it's timing out.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @duelist77,

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear earlier. By 'restoring', I meant getting your data back onto your mobile device if the data has been corrupted or lost somehow. We simply didn't imagine it as a solution that people would want to use on a regular basis. But I will be sure to pass your case along to our developers. Perhaps we'll need to consider this as a more versatile solution in the future. :)

Now, let's see what we can do to get this working for you. Please try re-starting both the computer and your iOS device and try the iTunes file share again. If you are still getting an error message, please refer to the Restore your 1Password data via iTunes document and let me know what step you were on when things went wrong. What did you expect to happen, and what actually happened. The more we know about where things went wrong, the more likely we'll be able to help find a solution!

Thanks so much for your patience as we sort this out.

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan,

Another example of the use case I'm talking about and which I hope AgileBits takes seriously (manage vault centrally at pc/mac computer, copy to ios device through wire or at worst local wi-fi, use vault on ios device in read-only mode) is the tooPassword app. I'm sure you guys are aware of them since you guys have blogged about them before. I just tried my vault on their app and it works just fine; all the items in my vault to date are there.

Back to itunes file share, I tried deleting and reinstalling the app on the iphone and then re-copying the .agilekeychain file I get from Preferences>Sync>Folder (Sync) to the iphone, per the instructions at the link you provided. When I open the ios 1password app, I can see, at most, my earliest items in the vault. I can't see items in the vault after a particular date. I'm not sure if it's something wrong with the .agilekeychain file or on the ios app, because I have opened the .agilekeychain file before and it seems the items in the .agilekeychain file package isn't being updated by Folder Sync since (it seems) when Folder Sync is first turned on, even though I have been adding items to the vault regularly, unless I disable Folder Sync and delete the .agilekeychain file, and then re-enable Folder Sync.

Meanwhile, for the wi-fi sync, I get this error message: "Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=60 "The operation couldn't be completed. Operation timed out""

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @duelist77,

Just to follow-up on the tooPassword app you mentioned, in our blog post we do mention:

Without passing any judgement on any third party developers, we have to advise people to never enter their 1Password Master Passwords into anything other than 1Password.

Now, to the issue at hand: I do want to thank you so much for providing that detailed information on your steps, it was very helpful! It does sound to me like the File Sharing itself might in fact be working ... but that it is Folder Sync that is misbehaving. Let's re-set Folder Sync and see if that makes any difference:

• Disable Folder Sync
    • Quit 1Password
    • Delete the 1Password.agilekeychain file in you synced folder
    • Open 1Password and re-enable Folder Sync

This should re-create a shiny new 1Password.agilekeychain with all of your data! Please let me know if this works for you :)

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan,

I followed your steps and it looks like it worked, at least this time. I'll try again later when I add more items to the vault and see if the same issue comes up.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @duelist77.

I'm glad to hear it worked for you and am sure @Megan will be, too.

Please do let us know if you're still having any trouble with this; we're here to help. :)

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member
    Options

There definitely is something up with Folder Sync. The package contents of the agilekeychain file is not being updated even when I add items to the vault and the preferences>folder sync in 1Password Mac says that it's been syncing to the location I specified. I basically have to disable folder sync, delete the file, and re-enable foldersync, as @Megan directed, to get the most updated agilekeychain file.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @duelist77,

Could you please let me know what version of 1Password you are currently using? We are currently tracking a bug where 1Password 4.0.8 (the latest version for users who purchased from the Mac App Store) will lose permission to sync after the computer has been re-booted. (This issue is related to sandboxing restrictions put into place by the Mac App Store.) It sounds like it might apply here - have you re-started your computer prior to noticing this?

• duelist77
    duelist77
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan,

I'm currently using 1Password Mac version 4.0.8 (Mac App Store). Not sure what you mean by rebooting, but I do turn my computer off (full shut down) every night.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @duelist77,

Thanks for confirming that for me! It sounds like you are experiencing the bug I mentioned above. Our developers are working on finding a proper solution, but in the meantime, you may want to re-enable Folder Sync every time you re-start your computer in the morning, just to be sure things stay in sync.

I do apologize for the inconvenience, we hope to have this bug fixed for you soon!

This discussion has been closed.