1password opens without password!

Options
MPxxxxxx
MPxxxxxx
Community Member

The 1password app, Version 4.0.8 (408001), now regularly opens without asking for the master password!!! I've just quit and reopened it several times, and each time it opens without needing the password.

Hardly desirable behavior.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

What are your lock settings (Preferences > Security)? Depending on those settings if you simply quit the main password app you won't need your master password to open it again, because 1Password mini will still be running. If you want to quit both, use control + cmd + q.

Edit: found the special characters now! To quit both, it's ⌃⌘ + q.

Stephen

• cvmichael
    cvmichael
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the Q & A - I have been trying to figure out how to open 1Password automatically on startup (home computer, no one else has access) without having to login; now I know.

• MPxxxxxx
    MPxxxxxx
    Community Member
    Options

I have all the lock preferences selected except "Lock when main window is closed." If that means, "don't lock when quitting the program," then it is very poorly worded. I would suggest that the preference options need some explanatory text.

• MPxxxxxx
    MPxxxxxx
    Community Member
    Options

I have now checked all the "Lock" preferences - and 1password still opens without the password!

• MPxxxxxx
    MPxxxxxx
    Community Member
    Options

It apears that if I enter the master password in the Safari extension and then open the 1password main program, it opens without the password. This strikes me as incorrect behavior.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

It apears that if I enter the master password in the Safari extension and then open the 1password main program, it opens without the password. This strikes me as incorrect behavior.

So yes, if you enter the master password in the browser extension or in 1Password mini (which are really the same under the hood), it also affects the main application. You don't have to enter the password a second time if you open the main application after entering it in one of the other two avenues to your data. Likewise, if you open the main application first, it will require your password, but you won't have to enter it again in the browser extension or mini. This is normal behavior.

It doesn't strike me as incorrect behavior. If I have entered the master password anywhere on my computer during a session, it seems to me that so long as the time to lock has not elapsed, I should be able to gain seamless access to all of the integrated parts of the application. It's all one application in my mind with three tools to access its features. But I guess that's me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi @MPxxxxxx,

I just wanted to confirm what @hawkmoth said: unlocking the Mini will unlock the Main App as well. This allows you to access your password database in whatever form (mini or main app) is more convenient to you. If you are concerned about 1Password being open, you are welcome to change your lock settings to ensure the program locks more quickly when not in use.

I hope this helps, but if you do have further questions, I'd be happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.