Memo / Note Fields are Encrypted?

speedsonic
speedsonic
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

Hello,

do you know If the memo fields of a login (1Password 4) encrypted or stored in clear text in the 1Password file?

Thanks!

Comments

• @speedsonic Yes, notes (memos) are encrypted.

If you are using the old Agile Keychain format (syncing with Dropbox or Folder Sync), the only fields not encrypted are the title and the URL.

If you are using the new Cloud Keychain format (syncing with iCloud), all fields are encrypted.

Hope that helps! :)

• speedsonic
    speedsonic
    Community Member

Ok, thank you. But why is there next to "Login", "Identity" "Passwords" also the "Notes"? Then Is it not really necessary, right? Is that just for better sorting?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @speedsonic,

It sounds to me like you might be confusing the 'notes' field that is in each entry with the 'Secure Notes' category that allows you to store text-based data that doesn't fit into other categories. For example, I have a Secure Note that has emergency phone numbers in it and my partner's medical information.

Does this help clarify things?

• speedsonic
    speedsonic
    Community Member

Ok, I understand. Important to me was that the memo fields in a "logins" are encrypted. If this is definitely the case, then everything is good :-).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @speedsonic.

I'm glad this is clearer for you now. :)

In addition to, or instead of, adding notes (memos) to your Login (and other) items it can be convenient to store extra information in custom fields (also encrypted), as described in this article:

Add custom fields to an item

Those extra fields are visible in 1P mini item windows and easily copied from there.

I hope that's helpful.

This discussion has been closed.