User Guide

Options
oxfordbob
oxfordbob
Community Member

Does anyone know where there is a good user guide for ver 4? All I can find on the web is marketing blah blah and nothing to tell me how to do all the stuff that 1Password is supposed to be so good at.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

There is a PDF book that was mentioned in these forums, here.

I haven't used it myself, but there have been good comments from those who have.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

I looked over the free preview on the site and found something interesting it was sponsored by AgileBits aka 1Password. Also learned a few things about the author that I didn't know already.

In re to the book from the sample it seems to be a great book. Though I have used 1Password for so many years (5+) so, I cannot be an accurate judge on what a new user would find helpful. Trying to be objective as possible and thinking as a new user I did find it was a worthwhile read. I think you may also find it worthwhile.

If you want to check out the preview its available from the publishers site.

http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/1password

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @oxfordbob.

Last month Joe Kissell, the author of Take Control of 1Password that @hawkmoth and @thightower mentioned, posted:

And, I'm planning to release a free upgrade to version 1.1 of the book to correspond with 1Password 4.1 whenever that ships (I imagine in a couple of months).

4.1 is currently in beta testing so you can't go wrong buying the book now and get free updates for both. :)

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

oxford bob wrote:

Does anyone know where there is a good user guide for ver 4?

I agree this is sorely needed. I have the Take Control book (and am a big fan of that series), but a paid alternative should not be a substitute for a complete, detailed user guide from the developer. I know Agile has been caught off guard by difficulties with the new release, but this should be a high priority.

David

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@DavidB said,

a paid alternative should not be a substitute for a complete, detailed user guide from the developer.

I agree with that.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @oxfordbob, @DavidB, and @hawkmoth,

You are right, you shouldn't have to buy a book to master 1Password. Our User Guides and Knowledgebase is getting better day by day. We know it's not perfect yet, but our documentation team is working hard to get things up to date. If you have a moment to take a peek through it, I'd love to hear any particular areas that you feel are lacking, and we'll move them to the top of our To Do list.

This discussion has been closed.