Security Issue - Login to 1Password 4 and occasionally it bypasses the Master Password!!!

Options
UhOhChuckO
UhOhChuckO
Community Member

Twice now I have logged into 1Password 4 (4.0.9 build 409002) and it has bypassed my Master Password. Each time, I had not been in 1Password 4 for a number of days. What's with that? This is a rather serious issue I think. It happened just now (2nd time).

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Have you checked your auto lock settings in preferences? My first reaction was to think than maybe auto locking is turned off. In any case, I bet the support people will want to know the settings there, so you might check and post them as a followup here to help speed along your solution.

• UhOhChuckO
    UhOhChuckO
    Community Member
    Options

Good thinking: All auto-lock settings are checked. Lock after computer is idle for is set to 5 minutes.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @UhOhChuckO.

Are you still having an issue with 1P4 not auto-locking when you expect it to? When that's happened did you log out or restart your Mac and 1P4 was already unlocked when you first opened it after logging in again? It sounds like it's usually auto-locking normally and, as the title of this topic says, "occasionally it bypasses the Master Password". Any ideas of what you might be doing differently before that occasionally bypassing could help figure out what that's happening. Also, which version of OS X are you running?

Thanks in advance for the additional information!

• UhOhChuckO
    UhOhChuckO
    Community Member
    Options

OSX 10.8.5
    I am not aware of doing anything unique when this has occurred. As stated, it has happened twice and each time I am opening 1Password for the first time in a number of days. It seems like it thinks I never left it!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @UhOhChuckO.

When you reopened 1Password again after a few days and it was unlocked had you been logged out and/or restarted your Mac before that?

If this happens again could you please send a Diagnostics Report from your Mac right after that so we can take a look at the 1Password logs? instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• UhOhChuckO
    UhOhChuckO
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks sjk for the assistance. I experienced the issue again yesterday. I always shutdown the Mac at night so this is happening after the morning boot up. I am going to try shutting down with 1P4 open and then boot up to see what happens. Let u know.
    Also, I will gladly send along the diagnostics.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good, @UhOhChuckO. Thanks for the status update.

• UhOhChuckO
    UhOhChuckO
    Community Member
    Options

Just booted up and the problem did not occur. I will continue trying to isolate the situation.
    Thanks

• UhOhChuckO
    UhOhChuckO
    Community Member
    Options

I wish this forum sent out emails when notifications occur. Or does it?
    Anyway, I have been cruising along okay for a while but it happened again the other day. Just in case you all were feeling really good!!!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi @UhOhChuckO,

I'm sorry to hear the phantom has returned to mysteriously unlock 1Password 4 for you again. It's been a few months since your last report so which version of 1Password are you running now?

Something you could try, if you haven't already, is to temporarily disable all the Auto-Lock options under the Security tab of Preferences. Then quit 1Password, restart your Mac, rerun 1Password, reenable all the Auto-Lock options, and see if that helps get (un)locking to work properly.

Like before, the result may not be immediate but we'll still be here to help if you, with or without the phantom unlocker, do return again. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@UhOhChuckO‌ - About getting email when notifications occur, if you go to your profile page, in the upper right corner is an option to edit your profile. After you select that, in the left panel is an option regarding notifications. You can opt whether to receive email for a variety of conditions there.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for catching that, @hawkmoth. :)

Here's another explanation …

To receive notifications for a topic, depending on your notification preferences, you can bookmark it by clicking the star around the top right part of the page:

To view/modify your notifications preferences, open the Edit Profile page and click Notification Preferences in the left sidebar.

If you make any changes click the Save Preferences button at the bottom of the page to save them.

This discussion has been closed.