About to Give Up on 1Password Anywhere

Options
werthan
werthan
Community Member

Hello,
I would like to place my 1Password.html file on an Ironkey-type USB flash drive. In short, I would like to keep my password file locally, not on a Dropbox or iCloud.

I followed the instructions regarding placing the file on the drive, and not surprisingly, received the “key data file could not be loaded” message. I then attempted to open the file in Chrome using the command line option to no avail. (This is what I used: $ /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome —allow-file-access-from-files &> /dev/null &).

I tried to open it in Safari. Same thing.

I ended up just putting all the package contents on the USB drive. It didn’t give the same message, but appeared to show the .js file source code in both Safari and Chrome.

I have now have tried it in Safari, Chrome and Firefox, but it has not worked and I am sort of at a loss. Is there no way around the local file restriction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

@werthan

The html file reads the contents of the other files. So in short 1PasswordAnywhere will not function without all the files. If I remember correctly its just best to copy the entire Keychain to the USB and go that route. But I have to confess it has been quite some time since I used it. Years in fact.

**If **you use Dropbox you can open it locally on your Machine, so the USB should be no different. Provided it has all the necessary info. I just tried manually opening the file with show package contents and then selecting the html file. I does open 1PasswordAnywhere.

I was also able to make an alias to the HTML and place it outside the keychain and have it work appropriately. I don't know if any of this will help you. Sorry about that. I am not really a command line person. :(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @werthan,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password Anywhere. Generally, as @thightower suggests, it is best/easiest to access 1Password Anywhere directly through the Dropbox website. If you do wish to try 1Password Anywhere via USB, you will need to copy the entire 1Password.agilekeychain file.

The main issue here is that many web browsers today block remote file access, which blocks 1Password Anywhere if not opened via the Dropbox website. To disable this block in Safari:

• Open Safari
    • Click Safari->Preferences in the menu bar
    • Click Advanced
    • Click "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
    • Click Develop in the menu bar
    • Click "Disable Local File Restrictions"

Now you should be able to open 1PasswordAnywhere via your USB drive. Please let me know if this helps!

This discussion has been closed.