Smart Folder to show items that are not in any folder and not in Trash [confirmed]

Options
Michael R
Michael R
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

I would like to create a smart folder that will list items which are not in any folder, but to exclude items that are in Trash. I'm not sure how to do this. Any advice?

Comments

• Michael R
    Michael R
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I think I see how to do it, but there might be a bug to report here. I created a smart folder and set the condition to folder is [blank]. Sometimes it excludes items from trash, and sometimes it doesn't, depending on my previous operation. I seem to be able to reset it (to not show trash items) by going to All Items then going to my smart folder.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi, Michael.

We currently have an open bug report for being unable to search for items in Trash, yet you seem to have discovered a way that sometimes does it. :)

Do you recall any specific previous operation before selecting your Folder (is) [blank] Smart Folder that seems to trigger Trash items to be included in the results? Also, with View > Show Items Counts enabled does the Smart Folder's item count increment/decrement depending on whether Trash items are included/excluded?

So far I haven't been able to reproduce this with 4.0.8 and 4.0.9.

• Michael R
    Michael R
    Community Member
    Options

I can recreate it with the following steps.

1. Run Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords
    2. Select the Smart Folder that is set to Folder (is) [blank]
    3. Drag one of the items to trash.
    4. The Smart Folder now includes all trash items.
    5. Select All Items
    6. Select the Smart Folder. It now does not include any trash items.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, Michael.

Now I can also reproduce that here. Turns out (with a few exceptions) that deleting items with any Smart Folder selected temporary causes the item list to display all items, including any in Trash. I'd mistakenly thought items couldn't be removed directly from a selected Smart Folder.

Bug filed for this. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.