Help getting started with 1P4.3.2 on iPad?

Options
SVanDee
SVanDee
Community Member

My wife and I have used 1P on our Macs for some time. It was pretty easy to learn between the online User's Guide, FAQ and Forum. I recently installed 1P (4.3.2 now after a couple of updates) on her iPad. We're having a tough time learning how to use it. The IOS User's Guide at http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/index.html doesn't seem to match it very well. Some things that hung us up right off include:

• The User's Guide starts right out talking about the Vault vs Web modes without explaining how to switch between them or even what they look like. (This may be my fault. I didn't realize how much different the IOS version of 1P would be from the Mac version so, when I installed it, I skipped the Welcome Tour. Would that have explained it? Can I go back and run it without reinitializing 1P altogether?)

• The description of how to bring up the Action Bar says swipe items on the Vault Display left to right. On our iPad, the list of items is displayed horizontally in a single row near the top of the display. Swiping it just scrolls the list. The rest of the display shows the details for the selected item. Swiping it doesn't seem to do anything. (The picture of the display in the http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/95610#Comment_95610 post shows the list of items displayed vertically. Is the display switchable between these formats?)

• The http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Features/Web/ios-web-mode-tabs.html article shows menu bars at the top and bottom of the web pages with the "+" icon to switch to the tab display at the bottom. On our iPad, the tab names are in a row at the top with the "+" icon at the far right. All the other menu icons are in a row below it with the search box. I can't find any way to get a display of tab thumbnails as shown farther down in the Features/Web article.

I just thought I'd ask whether there is documentation somewhere that matches 4.3.2 better or at least a graphical picture of the various displays that cross references the features to the documentation before I continue trying to learn it by trial and error?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SVanDee,

I'm sorry that you've been having trouble getting the hang of the iPad app. I'll be sure to pass along your thoughts to our documentation team - we've all been a bit busy since the launch of 1Password 4, but I'll make sure that the iOS documentation gets a polishing.

Now, let's see what we can do here to straighten things out for you!

The User's Guide starts right out talking about the Vault vs Web modes without explaining how to switch between them or even what they look like.

Basically, any screen that shows you your database information is the 'Vault'. The Web mode can be accessed by pressing the globe icon at the top of the side menu-bar. When you are in 'Web mode' (viewing the browser), you can get back to vault mode by pressing the icon in the top right with 3 horizontal lines.

The description of how to bring up the Action Bar says swipe items on the Vault Display left to right. On our iPad, the list of items is displayed horizontally in a single row near the top of the display. Swiping it just scrolls the list.

In the iPad app, because there is so much more available space, things are displayed a little differently. To get the swipe action described in the Guide, you can use the app in horizontal orientation. In vertical orientation, you can copy by tapping the password or open the item in our browser by tapping the web address.

On our iPad, the tab names are in a row at the top with the "+" icon at the far right. All the other menu icons are in a row below it with the search box. I can't find any way to get a display of tab thumbnails as shown farther down in the Features/Web article.

This is another situation where the extra screen-space available on the iPad has given way to a different design. Here the browser behaves much more like the browser you are used to on your desktop. The '+' icon on the far right will add tabs, and they will pop up in line with your other tabs, allowing you to switch between them easily - without the need for that extra pane in the iPhone app.

You've pointed out some good areas where our documentation could definitely be improved here, but I do hope that my instructions have helped to clear things up at least a little! Please let me know if I can provide any further clarification.

• SVanDee
    SVanDee
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, I never thought to try the iPad in landscape orientation. The Action Bar works just as advertised. So do the other things. Looks like we're off and running now. I can imagine how hard it must be to maintain documentation for so many different devices that change so fast. Thanks a lot for the help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SVanDee,

I'm so glad to hear that you're getting the hang of things! Thanks so much for your understanding. It is difficult to maintain documentation for so many different versions and devices (especially with a small team like ours) but your feedback is so useful in determining the places that most need polishing. Thanks for taking the time to write in, and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance :)

This discussion has been closed.