Used app called "Mac Cleanse" and 1Password doesn't work

Options
cdjr398
cdjr398
Community Member

I just used a program called Mac Cleanse that cleans out caches and some other things. Apparently one of the other things is to clean out 1Password because it doesn't work now. I was using 3.8 1Password. It seemed to work up to this point, but I think there are problems before this. With the 1Password icon in the upper right corner of there is a red circle with a "1" in it. It has been this way for some time. I looked in the Macintosh HD>Library>Application Support and couldn't 1Password. This is strange because it did work before. This by the way is all in Safari. My 1Password doesn't work in Firefox. It keeps counting up when I sign in and never signs in. So to get all my pain and suffering out at one time. I purchased 1Password 4. This hasn't helped matters. I have no clue as to where the data file is that made 1Password work up to this point. Help !!

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Are you using Time Machine or Dropbox. If so, deleted files can be recovered from there. Many people don't know that Dropbox has an option to recover deleted items.

The trouble with Mac Cleanse and other cleaning programs is that they are often too aggressive and delete too much. I suspect (not sure, as I have never used that program) that it has removed your data from your hard drive and you won't be able to get it back, except from another place.

• cdjr398
    cdjr398
    Community Member
    Options

I booted up with a backup drive. I tried to use 1password in Safari and it worked. There was still a round red circle with a 1 in it over the 1Password logo4. So I tried to find the data file. I went to Hard Drive (with system) > Library>Application Support. I didn't find a 1Password folder. This happened with the original hard drive and system also. I also tried my Time Machine backup and couldn't find the data file either. I seem to remember an analysis that can be done to find the file, can this be done?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @cdjr398.

I'm sorry that MacCleanse has apparently removed some of your 1Password data. As @danco mentioned, these types of programs can have overaggressive behavior that's more harmful than beneficial.

So we can best help you locate and restore any 1Password data on your Mac where it could still be hiding, please email us a Diagnostics Report; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.