Offer to fill passwords from all vaults

Options
Andrew Rogoff
Andrew Rogoff
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

At the moment, with the browser extensions, you have to switch to the vault with the relevant login. It would be much better if the extension just automatically displayed the relevant logins from all vaults in the list without the user having to manually switch. Is this on the roadmap? Eg:

PRIMARY VAULT

Login to Twitter

COMPANY VAULT

Login to Twitter

Comments

• Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestion, we've had a few requests for something like this and while I can't promise anything it is certainly something we're considering for the future.

Cheers!

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member
    Options

+1 I think you have had more than "a few requests". I can think of several use cases where having info from all unlocked vaults available at the same time saves a lot of clicking, searching and hassle.

One is where personal logins are in one vault, shared logins in another, etc. Now you go to a website and ask the question "Do I have an account/login here?" Answer: "I don't recall". I don't know about you, but I sure cannot tell you in an instant every login I have saved, and even if I could, which vault it might be in. As it is now, I'm required to search through each vault individually rather than using a single search. In addition, my wife is never going to search several vaults for the answer. If it's not in her primary vault, then she'll just end up creating yet another login.

A second situation is where you have logins and identities in a personal vault and credit cards, bank accounts, etc. in a shared vault. Now I go to an commerce site, login from the personal vault, switch to the cc vault for entering card info, switch back to the personal vault for identity address info etc. Why is all this clicking, switching, searching necessary? Personally , it's quite frustrating and irritating.

• carpenoctem
    carpenoctem
    Community Member
    Options

I believe in general the use of vaults is for the physical separation of encrypted password files. I have a work vault that is not synced over dropbox..since that would be against work policies. I then have a personal that I do sync. Multiple vaults solved this issue perfectly. It just so happened to introduce more problems then it solved. I'm never on the work vault (secondary) when I use the shortcut keyboard to get to 1PW mini for ssh passwords. I'm never on the work vault within the webui as well. So when it asks if I want to save the credentials I'm forced to say "cancel" even when I really do..because the option to save them to a secondary vault does not exist.

1password IMO should combine the credentials available in all vaults when retrieving credentials, but prompt for a vault to save-to when saving credentials. I then get data separation without it impacting productivity or the utility of 1password.

I'm currently planning to discontinue multi-vault usage and instead just stop syncing. That means one of the amazing features of 1password (multi-device) is no longer an option for me personally.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there,

Thanks so much for adding your feedback here. You're right, @oshloel, it is significantly more than "a few requests" for this feature. I'll be sure to add your vote to the list. (I think it could be quite useful as well!)

@carpenoctem, I'm sorry that multiple vaults have been complicating things for you, rather than helping out. I'll be sure to pass your use-case along to our developers.

Please let me know if you have any further questions :)

This discussion has been closed.