Password Generator workflow

Options
robflate
robflate
Community Member

I love 1Password but I don’t understand the Password Generator. Here’s how I use it;

1. Sign up for new site.
  2. Use Password Generator to create a password.
  3. Click Copy
  4. Paste into the signup form.
  5. Click Register and 1Password saves all the login info.

This is great but 1Password then also makes an entry in ‘Passwords’ for the generated password. This seems redundant as I already have an entry in Logins. It’s like a strange duplicate without all the login info?

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You aren't doing anything wrong, but I too am a little hazy on what purpose this serves. Maybe to remind you of what passwords have been used before so you don't use the same one again on a different site? That seems improbable if you use the password generator, but it could easily happen with user-constructed passwords.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @robflate.

Which version of 1Password are you using that has this issue with redundant items appearing in the Passwords category? There's an improvement in the current 4.1 (MAS) and 4.1.1 (Agile Web Store) updates that should help resolve it:

• Duplicated generated passwords are now removed after saving or updating a login in the Save Login window.

If the problem occurs using either of those versions could you post an example of a site where it happens so we can test with it here? Thanks!

• Iain Smith
    Iain Smith
    Community Member
    Options

I'd love to get keyboard support for this.

1. cmd + \
    2. down key then right key
    3. hit enter
    4. Random password copied to clipboard.

What do people think?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, Iain.

About keyboard shortcuts in 1P mini (including the Password Generator), here's what other people have thought/suggested:

In the last one, @MikeT wrote:

We'll see what we can do to let you generate the password without using the mouse. CMD+C would be nice to copy the password, not sure about filling yet, CMD+Enter? … The 1Password mini is currently suffering some type of bug where it can't pick up some of the keyboard shortcuts …

I hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.