Differences between MAS ver4.x and Agile-direct ver4.x

Options
JDW
JDW
Community Member

I'm a registered user of 1Password 3.8.21. I've never used the MAS version because I didn't like the differences. I'm pondering an upgrade to version 4.x now. I see you still have the MAS version, but you also have the direct download version here:

https://agilebits.com/downloads

Is there still a big difference between the MAS version and the regular version, as was the case with version 3.x?
I see in your forum that one difference is that the MAS version has some delay associated with storing data on DropBox. Since I use DropBox with 1PSW3, that will affect me. But are there any other differences?

So long as the move from 3.8.21 to 4.x is seamless for me, and offers me features I don't have now, I am eager to update.

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi, @JDW.

The Mac App Store and AgileBits Web Store versions of 1Password 4 are nearly identical, with the only differences being related to sandboxing, iCloud, and automatic updates. I'm not sure which "big differences" you're referring to between 1P3 versions because they're nearly identical, too. :)

I see in your forum that one difference is that the MAS version has some delay associated with storing data on DropBox. Since I use DropBox with 1PSW3, that will affect me.

Do you have a reference to any specific topic(s) about that? Would your intention be to use both 1P3 and 1P4 Mac on different systems, with Dropbox syncing between them? And do or will you have 1Password running on other system(s)/device(s), e.g. Windows or iOS?

Here's one place to check if 1P4 might offer any features you're interested in: What's New in 1Password 4 for Mac?

And you can certainly download and test it to make sure it's right for you. :)

From AgileBits Software Licenses:

The Mac and Windows products available on our website come with an unlimited demonstration period so you can "Try Before You Buy".

The application downloaded from our website will remain fully functional for the first 30 days after you install it. After this initial trial period, you will need to purchase a license to continue using without restrictions.

Instead of purchasing a license from the Agile Online Store you can purchase the 1Password 4 app directly from the Mac App Store. Either way, all of your 1Password data is retained.

I hope that's helpful. If you have other questions please let me know. Enjoy your holidays!

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have a reference to any specific topics about that?

Yes. Please note the title of the sticky thread:

Mac App Store version with Dropbox does not sync instantly

If that problem is not specific to the "Mac App Store version," why then does it specify "Mac App Store version" in that title?

And as to the "big differences" between the MAS version and regular version of one password version three, there were numerous threads about that, at the time. But to be more specific I don't have to search through the forum and take those up for you at a later time.

Thank you.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @JDW.

The issue in the two-month-old Announcement topic you referred to (now removed) is no longer applicable to the current release of 1Password 4. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

This article also mentions some 1P4 differences I noted earlier:

Purchase from Mac App Store or AgileBits' Store?

They could be substantial or inconsequential to different people.

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your very helpful replies, sjk. I now have two final questions for you.

1) What is "Item Sharing"? Your What's New page mentions that briefly but it doesn't go into detail. Says you can encrypt things and share them by email, but I don't see clearly how that works. Can you offer some details on that?

2) It seems that "iCloud Sync" is only available through the Mac App Store version? Why wouldn't it be available in the version that is directly sold by Agile?

Thank you very much.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options
    1. Sharing allows just that sharing via email and or messages etc. For instance I needed an item stored in a vault I didn't have access to. My wife clicks the share option and sent me the login via messages app. I tap the message and its instantly imported into my copy of 1Password.

From a blog post on Sharing:

Yeah, that’s right. You asked, we answered. You can now share 1Password items from Vault Mode via Messages and email in either an obfuscated format or plain text. Your lucky recipient will see an “Add to 1Password” link, and I recommend they tap it; makes the whole process pretty easy.

By the way, here’s a ProTip about sharing: if you use the obfuscated option to share items, the item’s ID is included. This means that, if you share an item and your recipient makes an update—such as add to a Secure Note or update a Login’s password—then shares it back to you, 1Password will actually update your current copy of the item with the changes.

Just be sure to share with care. Using the obfuscated option means anyone with a copy of 1Password for iOS could add it to their library (since we’re using a shared key for these items, it could also be reverse engineered). Make sure you trust your recipient(s) to keep those messages private and, even better, delete them as soon as they’re done.

1. iCloud sync is only for apps ran through the app store. Basically only vetted apps able to sync thru iCloud. iCloud sync is Apples product and its part of the process / ability of being able to sell your app thru the Mac App Store. It is therefore not available for apps whom are not involved in the Mac App Store ecosystem. (I hope that made sense) :-/
  • hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

iCloud syncing is currently available on both the Mac App Store and the AgileBits versions. However, Apple could in the future decide to limit access to iCloud to only those applications sold from the App Store. So AgileBits is advising those who want to depend on iCloud to buy from the MAS to guard against that happening.

I have used iCloud syncing myself with 1Password 4 purchased from the AgileBits site. I switched back to Dropbox because I became concerned that Apple might make that change and I wouldn't know about it. At the present time, iCloud syncing is a little faster than Dropbox. But if you want to use 1PasswordAnywhere to gain read-only access to your data on any web browser, you can only do that via Dropbox.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your first question.

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Well, being a licensed user of 1Password 3.x, I see the biggest difference between the MAS version of 1PSW4 and the Agile-direct version is "upgrade cost." There is no upgrade pricing on the MAS, so if I went that route it would cost me double. Since I have been a licensed user of 1PSW on the Mac since version 1 and on iOS since version 3.x, it makes most prudent economic sense for me to purchase an upgrade to ver.4 from Agile-direct.

Thank you for everyone who so kindly provided me with answers here. I appreciate it!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @JDW. Especially on behalf of @thightower and @hawkmoth. :-bd

As you astutely observe, upgrade pricing can be a factor in favor of the Agile Web Store version. Every developer offering MAS and direct versions of a single software title faces pricing decisions constrained by Apple's App Store policy, especially when it comes to upgrades. We do our best to offer discounts and sales whenever and wherever possible. :)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.