Is any 1Password data still protected when vault is unlocked?

Options
sjk
sjk
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: App stays open in Firefox.

Comments

• Max007
    Max007
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I'm a new user of 1P 4.
    I've gone through several discussions and this is still not clear to me:

Are my passwords securely protected when my vault is unlocked?
    I mean that when you use 1 P you keep the vault unlocked for some period of time. During this time you surf different sites. Here is the combination of risk factors: you are visiting some site + your vault is unlocked.
    I'd like to hear something like "all your usernames and passwords are crypted even though the vault is unlocked, and 1 Password use only portion of the crypted file which relates to the log-in procedure for the site you are logging in RIGHT NOW. No information is swapped on your disk, uncrypted part is in virtual memory for ... seconds, after it is erased securely". - But I let you answer it properly :-).

Next question would be when do you actually recommend to unlock the vault and for how long? Do you recommend to keep it open all the time you are working on your computer?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Max

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Max007.

Here's a blog article Jeff wrote that may answer most of your questions:

Just in Time Decryption | Agile Blog

If you still have remaining questions or issues not covered there please let us know. And some of Jeff's other articles might interest you. :)

This discussion has been closed.