Safari can't install this extension

Options
b5a7
b5a7
Community Member

I am a new 1Password user and can not install 1Password on Safari. It installed fine on Firefox, but 1Password apparently has a glitch with one of the websites that I use daily, so I would like to try Safari. When I attempt to install I get an error message that says 'Safari can't install this extension'. Some searches on agilebits turned up something about rebuilding the LaunchServices and locking the cache file, but I don't know how to do either of these.

Comments

• Alexandra Starr
    Alexandra Starr
    Community Member
    Options

I have downloaded the Safari Extension from the above referenced "Download 1Password 4 BrowserExtensions" NUMEROUS times. Each attempt I get an error window that reads: "Safari can’t install this extension. An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”.
    My computer is a 13" MacBook Pro OSX, version 10.8.5. What am I doing wrong?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Have you deleted the extension for 1Password 3 first?

• Alexandra Starr
    Alexandra Starr
    Community Member
    Options

There are NO extensions in my Extensions window. I did these steps to look for it: - Choose Safari > Preferences, click Extensions.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi, @b5a7 and Alexandra.

I'm sorry you're having trouble installing the 1Password 4 browser extension in Safari.

First, please restart Safari and see if the extension will install after that. If not, try installing some other extension in Safari and see if that works. If that fails, and no other extensions are currently installed, you could give this a try:

• In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder… from the menu bar.
    • Copy and paste the following path into the input box and then press Return:

~/Library/Safari

• Drag both the Extensions and Database folders to your Desktop.

• Then restart Safari and check if you can install the 1P4 browser extension or any others.

If you're still stuck and would like more help through email please send a Diagnostics Report from your Mac having this problem with installing Safari extensions; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic and your forum username in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• Alexandra Starr
    Alexandra Starr
    Community Member
    Options

What am I doing wrong?
    I have downloaded the mac extension from the AgileBits website NUMEROUS times and I continually get an error message that reads:

"Safari cannot install this Extension
    An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”.

I have checked all browsers on my computer - Safari, Firefox and Chrome and neither one of them have any extensions installed. zero, nada.

Signed,
    Almost resigned to un-install 1Password 4 for Mac

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi Alexandra.

I've merged your topic with another where you'd previously reported this problem. There's already some help waiting for you here in my earlier reply. :)

This discussion has been closed.