Backups Galore

Options
Smurf
Smurf
Community Member

Seems like 1password 4 is backing up files in two separate locations on my Mac:
1. Under Library->Containers->xxxx.agilebits-onepassword-osx-helper...->Data->Library->Backups (small single MB files)
2. Under Application Support->1Password->Backups (large multi MB files)

My questions are:
1. Is it really necessary to have multiple backup locations for the same data / program (even if it is split to two executables on the machine)?
2. How can one control and/or disable either? This used to be a capability in past versions that seems to have been removed from the UI???
3. How can one set a different location to either? - Again, a previous capability that seemed to have been removed from the UI???

I ask because my Macbook HD fills up quickly. 30 backups guzzled over 1GB or my precious SSD space. I have 1Password installed also on a desktop where multiple backups are stored and syncing through dropbox. I think I am good with living dangerously on my laptop. I am also concerned about having sensitive information (even if encrypted) in multiple copies on a machine that can get lost or turned over to the Genius Bar for an unattended inspection. Having the ability to control backups was a great feature and I would like to know if this capability still exists or is planned to return?

Thanks,
A loyal, multiple versions customer since the early beginning

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Smurf,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

First of all, I'd just like to say that when it comes to your password data - the more backups the better! I can't tell you how many times these backups have become invaluable to users who have had computer troubles.

That being said, if you're seeing backups in multiple locations, it sounds to me as if you might have two different versions of 1Password installed. #1 is the location of backups for the Mac App Store version, and #2 is the location of backups for our webstore version. Where did you purchase your copy of 1Password from? (If you are unsure, just let me know the version number and that will give me a better idea.) You might be able to remove at least some of these extraneous files.

As to your questions about whether backups can be disabled or moved, the answer right now is no. We are considering bringing back an advanced option to disable backups for power users who already have a solid backup option (such as Time Machine) already in place, but I can't say for sure if/when that will be implemented. With 1Password 4 we decided to make the backup location mandatory, simply because it makes them more reliable. If a user moves the backup location to a removable drive, for example, and then the drive is somehow disconnected, up-to-date backups will not be available when they are needed. Again this is an option we might consider changing in the future, but I hope this helps you understand the reasoning behind the change. When it comes to your precious password data, we always prefer to err on the side of caution. :)

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

• HannahWarmbier
    HannahWarmbier
    Community Member
    Options

I too think 30 backups is a ridiculous amount, and mine are taking up 1.5 GB of space. Please let us at least reduce it down to say, 5?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @HannahWarmbier,

Thanks for the feedback! As I mentioned before, we are considering adding some options to this in the future, and I'll add your suggestion to the list. :)

This discussion has been closed.