Unable to save New Password after being prompted to change a Temporary Password

Options
Yandar
Yandar
Community Member

I am having trouble getting 1Password to save new passwords that have been requested after a temporary "I forgot my password" password has been issued.I have encountered this problem now 3 times when trying to update temporary passwords on 3 different occasions at 3 different sites.

Here is what I am doing:

Step 1: Click the "I forgot my password link" on a website and request a new password be emailed to me.
Step 2: Copy the temporary password from the email to the clipboard and then paste into the password field on the website
Step 3: The 1Password safari extension then asks if I would like to save this password. I say NO as I know it is only temporary. (logical right? wrong!)
Step 4: Use the password generator in 1Password drop down menu to create new password and paste into the "New Password" and "Confirm Password" fields
Step 5: Continue with the login to the site but (and here is the illogical part...) I have found that there is NO secondary prompt to save this new password from the safari 1Password extension, so I have effectively now lost the password i have just generated. If I go to copy the password into the corresponding login details on the main 1Password app then the temporary password I have copied from my email in STEP 1 is pasted not the new password that I generated in STEP 3!!!

Confused yet!

This has been infuriating, so much so that on one occasion I got locked out of an account and had to ring customer service to get it unlocked. I have now found a very long and convoluted way to get around it, is there anyway that this can be rectified so that you are prompted a second time by the safari 1Password extension on a website if you change your password in more than one session?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Yandar,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with 1Password and I'll do the best I can to get things sorted out for you just as soon as possible!

First of all, I'd like to assure you that you haven't lost any passwords. I'm sure by now you may have reset most of them or otherwise handled the situation (and again, you have my apologies for the complications), but for future reference all passwords generated by 1Password are stored in the Passwords category. If 1Password doesn't offer to save the password after you have changed it on a site, you can find it in the Passwords category and convert it into a Login.

What is the version number of 1Password that you are currently using? When 1Password 4 asks you to save, the dialogue box should offer you two options: "Save" and "Not Now". To have add the website to the exception you need to click the gear icon in the bottom left of the pop-up and select "Never for this Site". If you haven't made that selection, 1Password should prompt you to save the Login the next time you log in to the site.

I hope this helps, but if you need any further clarification, we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.