REQ: Increase/remove digit limitation

Options
Smudge
Smudge
Community Member

I'd like to ask to have the ability to use more than 10 digits in a generated password.
Perhaps for the digits slider, when one slides it to the far right, change from 10 to 'all' so it will use whatever the overall max length is set to.

Searching thru the forums for similar requests, like this one, usually came down to @jpgoldberg discussing the security implications. However, in my situation, it isn't about trying to be more or less secure but to meet the requirements of the website I'm using.

In a case today, I had to change a PIN-style password on a website. Its requirements were 12-20 digits only. It is probably limited so that one could use an automated phone system to access the account. For a web login, it is horrible security.

So when using 1P to generate the password, it is limited to 10 digits. I had to set the max characters to also 10 so that it wouldn't use letters. Unfortunately this required me to use the 10 from the generator, which creates a 'Generated Password' entry in the history, then add more digits and save it, creating another history entry. Obviously possible but just messy.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Smudge,

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm glad to hear that you were poking around the forums a bit and found some explanation of why we've done things this way so far. I will certainly pass along your thoughts to our developers. :)

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've seen this use case one or two times before. It's rare, but it does happen (as you obviously know).

As we look at possibly reworking some of the parameters that go into the Strong Password Generator, we will keep this in mind.

This discussion has been closed.