Need Help Figuring Purchase & Config Approaches

Options
hkaufman
hkaufman
Community Member

I'd like my wife and I to share 1Password access. She has a Macbook, iPhone, and iPad and I have a MacBook and iPhone. We share the same AppStore account, but have different iCloud accounts.

Since we share the same App Store account I believe we just purchase 1Password once and can install it on both computers. I also believe we can purchase the iPhone/iPad version once and put it on the 2 iPhones and on her iPad. Is this correct?

What I'm not sure about, and I've read a lot of posts about this, is how we should set up 1Password. Should my wife and I just have 2 different vaults to keep our stuff separate or should we use 1 vault and just use folders to organize/separate our stuff? Since we're all in on Apple it seems to make sense to sync using iCloud. Does 1Passord just sync the primary vault to iCloud? If that's the case then I guess we don't use 2 vaults and just use folders, right?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide. It really should be so difficult to figure this out and there sure a lot of related questions about this. I'm sorry to add yet another, but I need help.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi @hkaufman,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us! I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit confused by 1Password licensing and vaults. I'll do the best I can to clear this up for you!

First off, licensing:

As a general rule, 1Password licenses are sold on a per-user and per-platform basis. We offer family licenses and bundles through our website store to make sure that users who need 1Password on more than one platform (or for multiple users) do not have to pay full price for each version, but the App Store doesn't offer us quite as much flexibility. You can get the equivalent of a family license in the Mac App Store by using the same AppleID to install software on your family's computers. Since you and your wife share an AppStore account, this should be a simple matter for you. :)

As far as organization goes:

This will mostly come down to personal preference. However, as you note, there are some restrictions on iCloud syncing right now, in that iCloud can only sync to your primary vault. As a further note, multiple vaults are not yet available for iOS, so only your primary vault will sync to your iOS device.

Here are a few ways you could organize your passwords:

1. Husband and Wife each keep a primary vault, synced through their own iCloud accounts (or Dropbox if you prefer) and sync a secondary shared vault (to their Macs only) using Dropbox.
    2. Husband and Wife can share their entire password database. Use tags and Smart Folders to differentiate between 'his', 'hers', 'shared' (or whatever method makes most sense to you! Please be sure to name entries carefully for accounts that you both have Logins for: "Twitter, wife" and "Twitter, husband" for example. If you choose to sync via iCloud, both of you will need to be logged in to the same iCloud account to keep this database in sync.

I hope this helps, but don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions - we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.