Shared Vault in DropBox not updating? [confirmed, MAS sandboxing bug]

Options
Airbusky
Airbusky
Community Member
edited January 2014 in Mac

I have a shared folder in Dropbox in which I share a vault with my wife. When I initially set it up it appeared to work fine. Now when I update an entry in this shared vault on my iMac it will not update on any other devices. When I check preferences it says updated 2 sec ago or something similar but no entries are in fact being updated. Any ideas?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@Airbusky

Can you check what version you are running on both your installs ? There were several bugs similar in nature but I had thought they were fixed. I am wondering if you may be on an older version ?

• j0o
    j0o
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

This September we initially set up vault sync between two accounts and added the third once the process seemed stable. After a time it was clear that each of our new entries were not appearing on the other machines. A fix was attempted after 1P files were backed up. This about occurred after the October 1P update that seemed to resolve the issue for most users. The shared vault(s) were deleted in 1Password and the corresponding shared files on Dropbox were removed completely (this required that each machine be used as permissions on Dropbox prevented one account from deleting all the 1Password files from the trash). The fix was tested and seemed to be functioning.

It appears the sync stopped again sometime mid December. Doing a Date Modified sort of the shared vaults shows identical files on each computer until Dec 17. After that the new entries/changes are different. I noticed it today when I realized the file created on one machine did not show up on the other. All accounts are using the same version of Mavericks Build 13B42. We are all on 1Password Version 4.1 (410009). One of the computers is using FileVault, the others not.

Thank you for your attention. Please let me know if additional information is needed.

• j0o
    j0o
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

There is a very recent similar discussion here (see first entry) that helped me. Using the Preference settings in 1Password and under the tab Sync there is a button labeled Change Syncing... this can be used to Disable Sync--without checking the Delete Data from Dropbox option--and then reverting to sync again that resulted in a merging of files. This is quick enough for me to consider a suitable workaround. I'll just apply it when a shared vault item is needed but missing.

PS: I used the 1P Troubleshooting tool to email the diagnostics.

• Airbusky
    Airbusky
    Community Member
    Options

thightower,

All devices are version 4.1 (410009)

Still not syncing as of today. I will search the other threads mentioned.

Thanks,

• Airbusky
    Airbusky
    Community Member
    Options

Altered the name of my shared folder in Dropbox by eliminating spaces in the folder name. All vaults are now syncing properly.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi guys,

Two issues mentioned in this topic:

- Syncing stops working, possibly after a system restart, or fails to work at all.
    - Whitespace characters in a 1Password keychain sync pathname may inhibit syncing with it.

Both have something in common that @dteare mentioned:

The security scoped bookmark is needed in the Mac App Store version because of the sandboxing feature. This bookmark is given to us by OS X when you select the folder (you may have heard this called a Powerbox) and we keep this bookmark for later use. For some reason when we try to persist and restore this bookmark it fails.

Whitespace removal from the sync pathname has been a partial workaround for that bug (maybe for @Airbusky). And disabling/reenabling syncing (like @j0o did) can be a temporary workaround for both bugs. Also, Dropbox syncing can be less likely to fail with a 1Password keychain located in Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain.

@j0o: The Diagnostics Report you sent shows symptoms of the security scope bookmark problem. Disabling/reenabling syncing should continue to be the "suitable workaround" for that, e.g. after system restarts.

@Airbusky: It could be that "eliminating spaces in the folder name" didn't matter and it was disabling/reenabling syncing that actually did, which may also be the "suitable workaround" for you if/when syncing stops working again.

I apologize for the inconvenience of this and we will have it fixed with an update as soon as possible.

• Airbusky
    Airbusky
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify my previous post.

My primary vault never stopped syncing properly, only the shared vault. I have been testing the shared vault today with numerous test entries and all appears to be working properly.

My fix (so far) has been to eliminate the spaces in my shared vaults folder name and then perform a change syncing/merge operation on all the other Macs to the newly named folder.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Airbusky.

My primary vault never stopped syncing properly, only the shared vault.

Like what @semblance reported.

If the primary vault is synced with Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain then its more likely to remain synced after a system restart.

My fix (so far) has been to eliminate the spaces in my shared vaults folder name …

Best to double-check that after your next system restart.

• j0o
    j0o
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help and explanations. Also sent a thank you @semblance as well.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your help and patience with this, @j0o. Plus contributing to the inspiration for the related Announcement topic:

1Password Losing Sync Permissions after System Restart [MAS]

:)

• Airbusky
    Airbusky
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your your help sjk.. looking forward to the fix.

This discussion has been closed.