Fresh Install - Does this beta require Dropbox syncing?

Options
Sacred_Brindle
Sacred_Brindle
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Android

Hi - I finally laid hands on my coveted Android beta golden ticket yesterday. After downloading, I was offered only two options upon install ("my info is on Dropbox", or "New User").

I looked over the questions posted and known issues and I didn't see an reference to an option OTHER than Dropbox (not even the keychain copy that was available via the Android Reader. In fact several posts offer the same feedback. So I'll assume for a moment, that Dropbox is the only supported option.
- With that being said, is there anyway you could offer me (us) a workaround (I'd like to test all the other features minus the DB sync, vs. sit on my hands until a new option is rolled out (unless there will be one soon).

Thanks and I know you can't possible offer everything at once, so keep up the good work and we'll get there when its time. :)

Comments

• Sacred_Brindle
    Sacred_Brindle
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

I've seen a few threads discussing the lack of the local file sync, DB vs. GDrive, etc.... Hopefully escalating the many discussions, into an official ASK for an integrated V1 feature (is there a process for this?), will begin to show that it almost seems silly to not offer this functionality moving forward (assuming this does not hamper any partnership with DB you have in place for the bulk of your users). Understandably, we are still in the minority, but even though its a small segment, it is growing and needs to be addressed.

I love 1Pass and eagerly awaited my official invite, only to find myself blocked at install due to the DB requirement, With the recent revelations confirming what many have known for some time, the official Cloud based solutions are simply not secure (non traditional standards) and therefore it seems only prudent as a leader in password/data protection, that 1Pass step up to the plate and offer us a way (above workaround, but if only that then at least were not blocked), to keep our encrypted info off and out of the Cloud if we so choose.

PR soundbite right out of the gate. "First password management software that is fully integrated with alternative and "safer" solutions that do not place your encrypted data into the hands of anyone that you specifically do not wish to have it. ** Legal Disclaimer - Please note that AgileBits, is not stating that any Cloud service hands over your data or is less secure (we love you DB, GDrive, iCloud so dont sue us). However, we wanted to offer are valued customers an option that specifically met a growing privacy concern of a number of our users.

As the number of threads and posts mentioning this continue to grow, it seems like an obvious choice. However, if you do not offer a solution by ship date, would you please offer us a tangible explanation with regards to why it was withheld, as it is clearly a TOP (if not the top) beta feature request.

Respectfully Yours,

• Thanks for understanding that the beta period is a process of incremental improvement. You are correct that we have received a lot of requests for additional syncing options (including local file import, WiFi sync, and Google Drive). We are currently evaluating syncing options, so I will add your voice to the list of requests that we have already received. Thanks for the input!

• Axel
    Axel
    Community Member
    Options

I received my invite this morning, realized Dropbox was a requirement, and uninstalled. Please add another vote for "local" sync, which I presume means synchronization with a file whose server synchronization is handled external to 1Password.

As a prior user of the previous Android 1Password Reader I already have my primary vault's agilekeychain archive synced to my device using my own server, but I could have used Box, or Google Drive, or one of the dozens of other options. I had expected that to continue working, and had hoped there would be support for multiple vaults (which is a blocker for me to switch to shared family use).

I can see that your WiFi sync implementation might take a while, but local file sync is a good step for existing users, and you presumably have at least some code in the existing Reader.

• iampjay
    iampjay
    Community Member
    Options

I too just received my invite and quite disappointed with the requirement to use Drop Box.
    I mainly use Google Drive but still paranoid that I prefer my database to be read locally from my phone local storage and even then that was not an option.

• Thanks for the votes! We'll keep working on adding more options for you.

Out of curiosity, if you were to have a folder ("local") sync option, how would you choose to keep your keychain in sync? There are a number of alternatives to Dropbox, but it seems that few of them provide the option to sync files to external storage or even internal storage outside the app sandbox.

• sbreit
    sbreit
    Community Member
    Options
  • Axel
    Axel
    Community Member
    Options

I currently use my own WebDAV server and "FolderSync" on Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.tacit.android.foldersync.full). My keychain is stored outside the sandbox in the (emulated) sdcard filesystem.

FolderSync also supports about two dozen other cloud providers (S3, Google Drive, etc.). I chose FolderSync for its good reviews, but there are many other competitors on the Play store. Some are provider specific, others support multiple providers. There are even implementations of Unison and rsync.

If I were setting up fresh today I'd probably consider BTSync for its convenience (http://blog.bittorrent.com/2013/10/15/sync-hacks-how-to-manage-your-passwords-with-bittorrent-sync-1password/).

Different users have different opinions on the pricing, availability, and security of various "clouds". Since local sync is apparently supported for Mac directly (I'm already syncing multiple desktops via file server there), it seems logical to support it on Android and let users choose the provider that meets their needs.

• Thanks for the additional details. Knowing how you're using 1Password gives us extra cues on how we can make it more useful.

• daLuiz
    daLuiz
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote from me! I am using Synology Cloudstation on my phone, which basically works just like dropbox (syncing files between pcs and also phones), only in this case the central data lies on my own Synology NAS and not on some dropbox server. The Cloudstation app always runs in the background and syncs everything from my PC to the NAS and from there to the phone (and vice versa). The 1Password App would just have to read the data from the local filesystem on my SD-card.

Thanks for your efforts,
    Luiz

• You're very welcome Luiz! I'll keep voicing the desire for more sync options to our development team.

• sspass
    sspass
    Community Member
    Options

Another casualty here.
    I cannot test it on my existing passwords, because they are on 1Password Pro Version 3.7.2 on iPhone 3GS, and that version no longer sync with Dropbox. "This app uses a version of Dropbox integration that is no longer supported."

• Hey @sspass! Dropbox has been discontinued on older versions of 1Password for iOS. The service that Dropbox has retired early September is now over six years old. Dropbox is quickly innovating its products. Sometimes, that means a company needs to retire legacy services in order to continue providing the best products possible.

If you would like to continue using Dropbox sync on your iPhone 3GS, you will need to upgrade to 1Password 4, or use WiFi sync with 1Password 3 on Mac, and sync 1Password 3 for Mac with Dropbox. 1Password 4 Beta for Android is not directly compatible with 1Password 3 for iOS.

With that being said, I will add your vote for folder sync support. :) I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

• sspass
    sspass
    Community Member
    Options

So, I must postpone selling iPhone 3GS that I don't need, and buy a Mac and 1Password for Mac or 1Password 4 for iOS in order to use 1Password for Android???

• You can initialize a brand new agilekeychain (data) file from 1Password on Mac or Windows. You are not required to purchase a copy of 1Password on Windows or Mac, you can simply install our 30-day trial to accomplish what you need.

As of right now, 1Password Beta for Android cannot create a brand new agilekeychain file. I am hoping this will change in the near future, as we get support for other sync methods.

I would be happy to provide you with instructions if you're interested. Let me know if you have access to a Windows PC or a Mac. Let's continue our conversation over email: support+androidbeta@agilebits.com

This discussion has been closed.