iOS/dropbox synch folder location - can it be relocated

Apaolo
Apaolo
Community Member

I'm trying to auto-synch across Mac, Windows and iPhone & iPad. My whole life basically.

the iCloud synchs up Macs and iOS perfectly but can't reach Windows machines - even through the iCloud Control Panel for Win.. Might as well use free iCloud chain for this scenario.

Dropbox synch does connect everything together - but moving the 1password folder from dropbox root breaks iOS device links. Now Mac and Windows are in synch (because you can edit the location of the database) but iOS devices are not (no way to change default location). I read about the Apples Sandbox limitations, but it looked like that got patched already.

I would settle for combo of iCloud (for Macs and IOS) and Dropbox (For Mac and Windows), but you can only use 1 method on the desktop app (you can use more than one on iOS devices)

It looks like everyday I turn there is a wall. Any ideas?

Thank You.

PS - I want to move the 1password out of root because I use dropbox for other synchs and backups and i'd like to have it organized properly.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Apaolo,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty deciding on a sync solution, and I'll do my best to help.

Because you are attempting to sync across both the Mac and Windows platforms, I strongly recommend using Dropbox. iCloud sync is currently only available for Mac and iOS devices, until such time as Apple makes iCloud available for Windows developers. And while the iOS app does currently allow for multiple sync solutions to be enabled at one time, this is not something that we recommend. We have seen several cases of merged databases as a result of this and will likely be changing the iOS options to mirror the either/or options in 1Password 4 for Mac in the future.

As a girl who loves her organization, I can appreciate that you want to keep your folders nicely sorted in Dropbox. :) However, your sync experience will be a lot smoother and more automatic if you allow 1Password to create the keychain file in the default location.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you here - please let me know if you have any further questions!

• Apaolo
    Apaolo
    Community Member

Thanks for writing - I noticed you respond to a lot of problems so thanks this and other replies.

ok - I'll return the folder to the root and shut off all but dropbox. Better to have a functioning solution than another tech time-sink .

Thanks again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Apaolo,

Thanks so much for the kind words and the understanding. I hope this gets things working smoothly for you! I will of course pass along to our developers that you'd like a bit more freedom with your folder location within Dropbox :)

This discussion has been closed.