I have two operating systems and want both extensions in Chrome's menu bar but 1PW keeps telling me

Options
VictoriaJZ
VictoriaJZ
Community Member

to uninstall = but I want to use 1PW on my 10.7.5 machine [MacPro] and my other more recent machines. How can I stop the uninstalling = I want Chrome to have both - I can see and remember easily which is which

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VictoriaJZ,

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password is pestering you with this message! Unfortunately, the 1Password 4 for Mac extension is not compatible with the Windows version of 1Password right now. Chrome Sync does not give us a way to limit an extension to a certain platform, or exclude just that extension from Chrome Sync.

We will need to disable Chrome Sync and remove the 1Password 4 for Mac extension from Chrome for Windows until a better solution is available.

=== Disable Chrome Sync

• Open Google Chrome.
    • Click on the action menu in the top right of Chrome (looks like three horizontal lines).
    • Click on Settings.
    • (Note: If you see a Sign in to Chrome button, then sync is disabled, and you may proceed to the next section. Otherwise, please continue with the next step)
    • Click on Advanced Sync Settings.
    • In the Advanced Sync Settings pop-up, select the drop down menu and then select Choose What to Sync.
    • Uncheck Extensions.
    • Click OK.

=== Remove 1Password 4 for Mac Extension from Chrome for Windows

• Open Google Chrome.
    • Click on the action menu in the top right of Chrome (looks like three horizontal lines).
    • Click on Tools > Extensions.
    • Click on the trash can by the 1Password 4 for Mac extension.
    • Confirm the removal.

That should take care of the issue on Chrome for Windows!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

• VictoriaJZ
    VictoriaJZ
    Community Member
    Options

I have been too busy to deal with this now = I do not use Chrome for Windows = I use a Mac = here is my Q - I was going to send an email to support but maybe this will work better --I have 1PW on my MacPro running 10.7.5 and it's my main machine. I also have 1PW on my MacbookPro laptop which is running Mavericks. I also use Google Chrome on both machines and the extensions for both are in the top bar. I sync using Dropbox, on both machines.

I changed my password on the MP 1PW and that was fine but when I got to the 1PW on my Mavericks machine it only recognized the old password, which was fine, and I did change it to match the one I had on the MP. But, is the password to 1PW on a machine tied to the application on that machine or is it tied to the Data file on Dropbox? That's the lst Q.

Can I have 1PW extension in Chrome be one extension but work for both the older and newer 1PW? My Chrome on the laptop and other devices keeps telling me to delete or uninstall the 1PW older extension but if I do that, then I can't use Chrome on my main machine, the MP --

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VictoriaJZ,

I'd be happy to help answer your questions here.

But, is the password to 1PW on a machine tied to the application on that machine or is it tied to the Data file on Dropbox? That's the lst Q.

It is a Known Issue that changing your Master Password on one Mac will not sync to your other Macs, so if you have changed your Master Password on one device, you will have to manually update it on your other machines.

Can I have 1PW extension in Chrome be one extension but work for both the older and newer 1PW? My Chrome on the laptop and other devices keeps telling me to delete or uninstall the 1PW older extension but if I do that, then I can't use Chrome on my main machine, the MP

I apologize for the confusion earlier about Windows - my mistake! Unfortunately the same situation applies to a Mac user with two different versions of 1Password installed on two different machines. The browser extension was completely re-designed between 1Password 3 and 1Password 4, so there is not one extension that will work on both versions.

The best option is to disable Chrome extension sync as in my instructions above, and uninstall the extra extension for each machine in chrome://extensions.

If you do want to keep both in Chrome, that is possible as well, however, there is no way to disable that uninstall message.

I hope this solves things for you, but we're here if you have any further questions :)

• VictoriaJZ
    VictoriaJZ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation - I have changed the master pw on my MACPRO and on my MacBookPro and will do so on the iPad and iPhone but on using 1PW on my MBP just now it was odd = I had the 1PW extension in Chrome pop up and had to unlock it which was fine, but it wouldn't recognize the new master and insisted on the old one. I was able to do it = and deleted the password extension in Chrome and reinstalled a new one, so maybe that was it, but I couldnt' see any place in the Extension itself to note the new Master....maybe by design. I'll use it a bit and hope I'm right but just thought I would mention it. Thanks again.

Oh by the way, it would really be helpful if when I or anyone posted a Q to the forum and an answer was provided by Agile staff, that a little ping or email would go to the poster -- I frankly forgot all about my post and had trouble in fact in finding it = I hadn't signed in and just searched for my name. But there is so much going on by email and web these days a reminder that there was a staff response sent to the poster is much better than a notification on the forum site itself, which I just don't think to visit.

And another thought while I am at it = I had trouble finding the link to the Forum easily = if you want to have people look there first for support it might be good to have a link not only in the Contact Us page but also under support since that was where I went to find it first = and actually had trouble remembering where to find it.

Hope this is helpful.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @VictoriaJZ,

I'm glad to hear my explanation helped to clear things up for you! Master Passwords can be a bit of a confusing subject, I know.

I was able to do it = and deleted the password extension in Chrome and reinstalled a new one, so maybe that was it, but I couldnt' see any place in the Extension itself to note the new Master....maybe by design.

I'm glad to hear that reinstalling the extension got things behaving for you. Please let me know if it starts acting up again and we'll investigate further.

Thanks for including your thoughts on the forum here. You can change your notification settings for the Forum here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/edit. Just click on 'Notification Preferences' to request email notifications. "Notify me when people mention me" is a useful on to check, because we will always mention you (by using @VictoriaJZ in our messages) when replying to your posts. I'd also be happy to mention to our web developers that we could make the forums a bit easier for users to find. :)

This discussion has been closed.