Feature request: link to or associate items

Options
ethansisson
ethansisson
Community Member
edited January 2014 in Mac

I want to be able to add a link from one item to another. Not sure how this would work, but it could be as rudimentary as expanding the URI scheme to support navigating to a specific item (e.g. onepassword://308FBD1D-B353-4902-B336-904C74FCA3DA or onepassword://item/memberships/My Financial Institution). Then I could just enter an item's URI into a custom row for the item I want to link from.

Here's an example of why I want this. I use several services from one financial institution (banking, insurance, etc). So I have several items that are related including credit cards, a login, bank accounts, and a membership (which stores my member number and some security challenge info). Sometimes I'll pull up my credit card item to get the customer service phone number. Once I'm on the phone I often need to see my membership information, so I have to go find the membership item. To get around this, I currently have some of the data from a few different items duplicated on other items. But it's a maintenance hassle when any of that info changes.

The end.

Comments

• AngriBuddhist
    AngriBuddhist
    Community Member
    Options

I too would like this.

If there were Custom Categories in 1P, I'd build a family database of inventory and general info. For your very same reason, I'd want to link to other entries, that are up to date, rather than search through every entry and update duplicate info that has been scattered about.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This is a reasonably frequently asked feature. Until something along those lines appears (if it does) I use tags to link items. Another suggestion made here recently is to use names for the items that are so similar that they appear together when you search (I'm summarising something which was put more elegantly in a recent post which I can't now find).

Stephen

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Options

I think that @Stephen_C is referring to this post... but I could be deluding myself. :D

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    Options

Tags are convenient, but using them to solve this problem wouldn't fit with the way I currently use tags. They also aren't available on iOS, which is where I most want an easy way to get from one item to another specific related one. Searching by name is the way to go about it now, which is fine. I just like the idea of being able to create relationships of sorts between different items both for easy navigating and to satisfy my OCD-like itch for more structure. It would be a nice-to-have feature, so I thought it worth mentioning, but I'm still perfectly satisfied with 1Password without it.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@MartyS, no delusion: that was the post I was trying to recall! Thanks.

Stephen

• digitalmoksha
    digitalmoksha
    Community Member
    Options

Big +1. I keep webhosting documents with details on servers, accounts, etc. I want to be able to paste in a link to the various account credentials, etc, like this onepassword4://308FBD1D-B353-4902-B336-904C74FCA3DA. Or even allowing the search url to accept the uuid. Either way. Every couple of days I'm wishing for this feature.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ethansisson, @AngriBuddhist and @digitalmoksha,

Thanks so much for adding your feedback here! As @Stephen_C says, this is a fairly popular feature request, and I've added votes in our tracker to be sure the developers hear about your interest.

• Sinsear
    Sinsear
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Is there a way to link items together in 1Password? For example, by linking a "Server" item with a "Login" item, the security audit will not flag the two items as having duplicate passwords. Furthermore, when you update one item, it also updates all linked items. This would be really handy for things like linking a login item with a server item with a wireless router item, since usually at a company, everything is snapped into a domain, so all of these items would share a common password (which will correspond to whatever your domain credentials are).

Furthermore, at my company, we have numerous domains (around 6), and passwords expire every 30 days, so I have to constantly update all of the items related to each domain every time I change my domain password.

My second question (somewhat related to the first) is will the 1Password browser extensions automatically fill a website's login credentials with any category besides "login"? For example, if I define a list of URL's in a "Server" item, will the browser extension autofill at one of listed URLs? Or, in this situation, would you also have to create a corresponding login item?

Thanks for the info/help.

• A380
    A380
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I am hoping for a feature where we can link one item to an other, and then the item that was linked could be hidden in its own category.

Let me elaborate:

I have a few bank accounts. Each of them come with a several credit cards and its own login. I would like to create a Credit Card item in the Credit Card category and then from within the Bank Item have a drop down list that I can link the CC to the Bank. Same for the login, and then for Logging into you account you can do it directly form you Bank item.

The benefit would be, when I opened my bank details I would see everything that is associated with the bank. Would not have to go searching for the login between the hundreds of other logins. With the ability to hide the Login in the Login category the login list will become shorter.

This feature is not limited to banks; since Reward Programs, Servers, and several other items have related Logins.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know you're interested in something like that, @A380. For now I'd recommend using folders, tags, and/or Smart Folders to group (i.e. "link") items. For example, I tag all my financial items in 1Password with "finance" so I can view them at a glance. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @Sinsear and @A380,

I've merged your requests with a similar topic, where you can see @khad recent reply plus the rest of this discussion. And I've added your "votes" to our tracker, too. I hope that's helpful. :)

• A380
    A380
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @khad‌ and @sjk‌,

I did a search to see if this was already being discussed but did not find anything, thanks for merging and adding my vote.

I am currently using folders and tags, but its a very inconvenient way around the problem. Also it will not allow you to hide the items that are in one of the folders. So you still have a very long list of i.e. Logins.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @A380,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience here. We want to ensure that 1Password is as user-friendly as possible, so it's great to hear about how users are organizing their data, and what might make things easier for them. :)

Keep the feedback coming!

• Phillip Boushy
    Phillip Boushy
    Community Member
    Options

I've just started using 1Password and was hoping there was a way to link items as well. Especially Bank Accounts with their login information, credit cards, and debit cards.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Phillip,

Your "interest-vote" for item linking has been added to our tracker. Thanks, and welcome to the AgileBits/1Password family! :)

This discussion has been closed.