1Password 4 update broken.

Options
Ken Spiker
Ken Spiker
Community Member

I was happy to update to 1Password 4 from 1Password 3, and now it's broken and I'm confused and angry. The 1Password icon appears in the menubar of Safari, but when I click on it I get a box that says: "null (vault)". When I input my master password it says "There is no vault, please open the 1Password app." When I open the 1Password 4 app, which is right there in the Applications folder, what I get is an extended ad for 1Password! This doesn't make sense. No doubt there is a fix, but already the complexity of updating is getting to me. What is going on here? I just assumed that as with most reliable software updating would be pretty much a formality and I could transition easily from the old to the new. Not so with 1 Password 4. Where do I begin?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The experts will answer you soon, but here's what I recall from a while back.

In the "extended advert" there is a button that says "Great. Let's get started". Click on that and you will be asked if you are a new user or have used 1PW before. Choose "I have used 1PW before" and follow on from there.

• Ken Spiker
    Ken Spiker
    Community Member
    Options

Thanx, that seems to have worked.

• AnneDrake
    AnneDrake
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the exact same problem but I don't see a "Great. Let's get started." button. Do you mean in the Welcome message?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi @AnneDrake,

I'm sorry you're also having trouble with the 1Password 4 upgrade. When you run it is this the window you're seeing?

Or have you already gotten past that and seeing a window that looks one in this set up guide?

Setting Up 1Password 4 for Mac

Let us know where you're currently stuck at with 1Password 4 and we'll help you get it up and running properly. Thanks!

I'm glad to hear @danco's tip helped you out, Ken. :)

• AnneDrake
    AnneDrake
    Community Member
    Options

Ahhh! I totally didn't see that down there! Thanks so much. I think I'm ok now.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, @AnneDrake! Thanks for letting us know.

I'm curious, are you using a Mac with a retina display? We've had reports that the Awesome! Let's Get Started button isn't obvious enough there. And I recently watched a friend of mine overlook it when he installed 1Password 4 on his 27" iMac.

• AnneDrake
    AnneDrake
    Community Member
    Options

No, I'm on a 13" MacBook Air. But it still didn't stand out as a button. My eye wasn't drawn to it at all.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback, @AnneDrake.

I've opened a request to improve the visibility of the Awesome! Let's Get Started button on the initial Welcome to 1Password screen. We'd like people to have a look at that content, yet also not miss the button. :)

This discussion has been closed.