Update from 4.1.2 to 4.1.3? [No: 4.1.3 is not an update for 4.1.2]

Options
Kennybouy
Kennybouy
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

Just gone to release notes and clicked on link to "Download" V 4.1.3. in Safari from 4.1.2. This went no problem, clicked link to unload and it has installed a brand new and separate version of 1PW on my Mac? Empty of any passwords and data. (Now have 2 1PW's on iMac) Is this how this update works ? And.... What do I now do?

[Update from AgileBits]: The Mac App Store releases are even version numbers, while the website releases are odd version numbers. They are not interchangeable and in most cases should not be used interchangeably. If you purchased from the Mac App Store you should be using the Mac App Store version (even numbers) and if you purchased from us you should be using the website version (odd numbers). Thanks! - Ben

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Looks like AgileBits have goofed, as this should not be occurring. 4.1.2 is the App Store version, 4.1.3 is the version direct from AgileBits, and that almost the only difference ("almost" because there are always certain differences between App Store and developer's versions).

Simplest to delete 4.1.3 unless you actually want to move to it.

• Kennybouy
    Kennybouy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks danco, You are right, I do have the app store version. And will delete this surplus to requirement version... Appreciate your assistance.

• Mark Evans
    Mark Evans
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Argh.
    I was running 4.1.2 and saw the download for 4.1.3 on the AgileBits/1Password site.
    After I downloaded the ZIP file, it auto-extracted 1Password 4.app.
    I quit 1Password 4.1.2.
    I ran the 1Password 4 app, and it asked if I wanted it in the Applications folder, which I agreed to, so it moved the file.
    Then the fun began...
    I deleted the 1Password.app file, but did NOT delete any other related files that AppCleaner notified me as being related.
    I was able to load my vault in 4.1.3.
    Then I noticed there were 2 1Password mini processes running and visible in my menu bar. I could force quit them only temporarily, as they re-spawn almost immediately. Nice behavior!
    Hoping there was a simple fix, I rebooted, but the 2 1Password mini processes were there to greet me again.
    I then made a copy of my keychain (synced by Dropbox) and placed it in my Downloads folder, just in case.
    Then I deleted the 1Password 4.app file, and allowed AppCleaner to delete everything associated with it.
    There were still 2 1Password mini processes running.
    I was able to force quit one of them -- there's no easy way to tell if it was the one associated with 4.1.2 or 4.1.3. I don't know what would happen if I rebooted again...

** Question 1: how do I permanently delete the 1Password mini process associated with 4.1.3? **

The Firefox add-on now has no vault associated with it. It does NOT resolve itself once I quit a browser session. And its instructions to "open the 1Password application" have no effect -- there is no way to associate it with the vault. And this is after uninstalling the extension, rebooting Firefox, and reinstalling it. (BTW, same for Safari, which was not running at any time during this fiasco.) Grrrrrrr!

** Question 2: how do I get the extension to associate with the vault? **

And...maybe AgileBits can make a few fixes:
    1. Don't rename the app from "1Password.app" to "1Password 4.app"
    2. Don't make the 1Password mini processes respawn
    3. Warn people, on the download page, to NOT download directly from the site if they have installed from the App Store.

Thanks for any help!

• Kennybouy
    Kennybouy
    Community Member
    Options

Yo Mark, I did the same thing, Rad following from SJK...

I'm sorry for the version confusion on the Release Notes page. The little App Store logo next to the release date identifies which are the MAS versions:

Also, since 4.0.7 the odd numbered versions are from our website and even numbered versions are from the Mac App Store.

Here's how you can remove 4.1.3 and its extra menu bar icon:

Run 1Password 4.1.2 (/Applications/1Password.app), the MAS version, and make sure all of your data is there.
    Quit 1Password 4.1.2.
    Run 1Password 4.1.3 (/Applications/1Password 4.app), the website version you recently downloaded.
    Disable the Always keep 1Password mini running option under Preferences… > General:

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

The extra 1P mini icon in the menu bar should disappear.

Press Control-Command-Q to Quit 1Password and 1Password mini.

Trash 1Password 4.1.3 (/Applications/1Password 4.app) and Empty Trash. You can just drag it from the /Applications folder to the Trash icon in Dock. It's not recommended to use uninstaller/cleaner tools to remove 1Password files because of the risk of removing required data and backups.
    Please let me know if that works for you. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mark,

I'm very sorry to hear you're also having trouble after installing and running 4.1.3 when already using 4.1.2. I've noted your issue in our tracker with suggestions for how to better clarify and handle different/multiple versions of 1P4.

Thanks for reposting those instructions from my original post, @Kennybouy. That's one way of fixing this problem, at least when both versions are still installed.

Since your case is a bit different and trickier, Mark, please send us a Diagnostics Report, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum at agilebits dot com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful.

Once we see the report we'll be able to better assist you get this all sorted out. Thanks in advance!

• Mark Evans
    Mark Evans
    Community Member
    Options

Kennybouy and sjk, thank you! Sorry it has take a couple of days to reply.

It's a "good news, bad news" situation...

Good

• I no longer have any 1Password mini processes running
    • I still have my keychain (live in Dropbox, and a backup 1p4-zip file)

Bad

• I uninstalled both 4.1.3 and 4.1.2, and now can't download 4.1.2 again without buying. The App Store is selling 1P4, but I bought 1P3 and upgraded to 1P4, so it wants to charge me $50
    • The diagnostic log sjk requested was deleted when I uninstalled 1P

How did this happen?

• I followed Kennybouy's post above to ensure 1P 4.1.3 mini was not running
    • But it was a bit different process since I had already uninstalled 4.1.3
    • Therefore, I started off with 4.1.2 installed and open on my Mac
    • I backed up 4.1.2 and copied the backup to my Desktop
    • I ran the 1P Diagnostics app, and saved the output file to my Desktop
    • Environment note: Even when asking 4.1.2 to not keep1Password mini running, and quitting 4.1.2, I still had a 1 Password mini process running despite no "key" icon showing in the menubar
    • So I pulled 4.1.3 out of the trash and ran it, and per Kennybouy's instructions, ensured Prefs...General was set to not have 1P mini running -- which is how it was set, so there should have been no active 1P mini process
    • My approach was therefore to ENSURE that 1P mini couldn't run -- by uninstalling 4.1.3 and 4.1.2 and all associated files, then reinstalling and restoring from backup
    • So, I deleted 4.1.3, and all its associated files (against the instructions, but as I noted aboce, the reason was that 1P mini was running despite being set to not run, so I figured I would try to go nuclear)
    • I then deleted 4.1.2 and all its associated files
    • I then emptied the trash
    • Trash would not delete several 1P-related files, as they were in use
    • I force quit the 1P mini process and immediately (before it respawned) emptied the trash
    • Trash would still not empty, as the files were in use (despite being in the trash and despite the process being force quit)
    • I restarted the Mac
    • As it booted up, I emptied the trash before 1P mini could spawn
    • All 1P-related files were gone, other than the keychain (in Dropbox) and the 1p4-zip backup on my Desktop
    • There was no 1P mini process running
    • There was no 1P key icon in the menubar
    • Success!
    • Except that the diagnostics file was deleted, and I now couldn't reinstall 1P without paying :-0

Sorry for the long and detailed sequence of steps, but I figure it's better to have more detail than less.
    I am sorry I couldn't send the diagnostic file.
    Any idea on the best way to get 1P4 without having to pay again?

And again, thank you both for your time and attention; users like me appreciate knowledgeable people helping out!
    Mark

• Kennybouy
    Kennybouy
    Community Member
    Options

Yo Mark, I am very new to 1PW as well. I had the same issue and it was SJK's instructions to me that I "Block copied to you" but as SJK says , your issue is slightly more complex than mine, do apologise to you and SJK if I have put you wrong, Better follow SJK's advice.... Again sorry...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey Mark,

Thank you for the thoroughly detailed followup; it's much appreciated! :)

I'm not sure why 1Password 4 is showing a $49.99 price in App Store. Are you logged in there with same Apple ID that you originally purchased 1Password with?

We've also received your email and will be responding as soon as possible with more help to resolve any remaining issues you're having with 1Password.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries, @Kennybouy. We're all in this together with a spirit of helpfulness. :)

• Mark Evans
    Mark Evans
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, thanks to both of you! I've emailed the diagnostic report to SJK. Hopefully that helps fix any issues with the app(s).
    Re: the App Store, yes, I am logged in with the same ID.
    I bought 1P 3.9.5 on 30 June 2012 through the App Store, as I have a receipt from iTunes, order # MGZBHDJWNH.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that App Store info and emailing the report, Mark. We'll keep this conversation going through email now. :)

This discussion has been closed.