2 1PW keys in top menu bar

Options
Kennybouy
Kennybouy
Community Member

I down loaded an extra version of 1PW and now I have 2 1PW keys in my top menu bar on my iMac, how do I delete the surplus key and 1PW software that is not being used ?,

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Kennybouy.

Which two versions of 1Password 4 are you running and which one do you want to get rid of? It sounds like you may have downloaded and ran 4.1.3 from our website after you've been using the 4.1.2 MAS version. If you want to keep the MAS version I can give you steps to remove the website version, or vice vera.

• Kennybouy
    Kennybouy
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, my version is from the App store 4.1.2, I thought the 4.1.3 was an upgrade and got it off your Release Notes page, https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4 I would like to keep my original 4.1.2. and delete the 4.1.3 version.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi, @Kennybouy.

I'm sorry for the version confusion on the Release Notes page. The little App Store logo next to the release date identifies which are the MAS versions:

Also, since 4.0.7 the odd numbered versions are from our website and even numbered versions are from the Mac App Store.

Here's how you can remove 4.1.3 and its extra menu bar icon:

1. Run 1Password 4.1.2 (/Applications/1Password.app), the MAS version, and make sure all of your data is there.
    2. Quit 1Password 4.1.2.
    3. Run 1Password 4.1.3 (/Applications/1Password 4.app), the website version you recently downloaded.
    4. Disable the Always keep 1Password mini running option under Preferences… > General:

The extra 1P mini icon in the menu bar should disappear.

5. Press Control-Command-Q to Quit 1Password and 1Password mini.

6. Trash 1Password 4.1.3 (/Applications/1Password 4.app) and Empty Trash. You can just drag it from the /Applications folder to the Trash icon in Dock. It's not recommended to use uninstaller/cleaner tools to remove 1Password files because of the risk of removing required data and backups.

Please let me know if that works for you. Thanks!

• Kennybouy
    Kennybouy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I can open my 4.1.2, but when I put the pointer on the second "1PW Key" it won't let me open it?

• Kennybouy
    Kennybouy
    Community Member
    Options

Amazing, I have managed to get into 4.1.3. 1PW and remove "Mini Key" and on removing App to the Trash it has asked me if I want to move associated system files too? Do I or do I "Leave Files" ?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi, @Kennybouy.

Glad you've made progress!

… and on removing App to the Trash it has asked me if I want to move associated system files too? Do I or do I "Leave Files" ?

Select Leave FIles, definitely! It sounds like you have CleanMyMac or something else installed that's trying to remove more than just the application when you Trash it. You only want to Trash /Applications/1Password 4.app, the website version of 4.1.3 you downloaded that you don't need.

• Kennybouy
    Kennybouy
    Community Member
    Options

Yo SJK, Worked well, thanks for all the help, good skills.....

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My pleasure, @Kennybouy. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• Kennybouy
    Kennybouy
    Community Member
    Options

We have Monday off as its Wellington Day, NZ,, even better eh! But I'm very happy to get this sorted...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've been to Wellington, just catching the ferry to/from the South Island on my only visit to NZ (which was wonderful).

• Kennybouy
    Kennybouy
    Community Member
    Options

Nice, but SJK, I hope you did not experience any of our famous Southerly Gales, We have NorWesters today and they are screaming in GALE FORCE, very unpleasant even though middle of our summer... Anyway, You to have a good week...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No gales, but I sure had more than enough experience with your sandflies. :D

• Kennybouy
    Kennybouy
    Community Member
    Options

Yo SJK, Please don't shake your head.... BUT.... I was on 9to5mac web site, saw that they advised 1PW had been updated to 4.2.1... With out thinking I pushed their "update" link, downloaded it, and now again have 2 mini 1pw keys in top menu bar... This time however it will not let me into the second key to remove it as suggested above by you the 1st time this happened... I am so sorry for this.... What shall I do?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kennybouy,

Do you currently have two versions of 1Password 4 installed? They would probably be:

• /Applications/1Password 4.app (version 4.2.1, from our website)
    • /Applications/1Password.app (version 4.1.2, from the Mac App Store)

… it will not let me into the second key …

Can you run version 4.2.1 (1Password 4.app) that you recently downloaded? You can use Spotlight to open it, making sure to select 1Password 4:

After that, follow the steps starting at #4 in post #4 earlier. When you get to step #6 change "Trash 1Password 4.1.3" to "Trash 4.2.1", since you'll be trashing 4.2.1.

And you only want to Trash /Applications/1Password 4.app, the website version of 4.2.1 you downloaded that you don't need. Don't delete any associated files or anything else.

If you're still stuck after that, please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic, to support+forum at agilebits dot com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Then we'll get this sorted out for you through email. Thanks in advance!

• Kennybouy
    Kennybouy
    Community Member
    Options

Yo SJK, again top marks my friend....whoa, good skills....done in 3 minutes of careful work... again so sorry for NOT Thinking.... Hope I don't do this again...so keen on this app I got lost in me excitement for the upgrade.... Cheers kennybouy

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kennybouy,

It's great to hear you've already resolved this… again. No worries. :)

Since you're running the Mac App Store version of 1Password 4, all updates are only going to come directly from Apple. I hope that helps resist the urge to update 1Password 4 from anywhere else. :)

This discussion has been closed.