Feature Suggestion: Sharing Items instead of Vaults

Options
Megan
Megan
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Feature Request: Multiple User or Shared folders.

Comments

• Silas Jura
    Silas Jura
    Community Member
    Options

@khad I have a suggestion on how to simplify this solution so it can be implemented much sooner. Where you have the option to Share an item with another vault, if that item could sync between the vaults its shared with then for the most part this would be solved quite simply without needing to host the vaults on your end. So for instance if I create an additional vault for my secretary and then use the share feature to add some of my items to the new vault and they stay synced whenever data is changed in either one, then all I have to do is share that separate vault via Dropbox and now I would have my main vault with everything for me and a separate vault for my secretary with just the necessities she needs and they both sync their data when one of us makes a change to those shared items. And as for new items created by the secretary, you could have a feature that detects a new item in the additional vault and then it asks you if you would like to add this item to your primary vault. This should be a fairly simple feature to add since all the vaults are unlocked already when you unlock one vault so accessing the data on one vault and copying it to another should be pretty straight forward. This wouldn't work perfect as a different vault would be needed for each instance a team member needed different logins than the secretary but it wouldn't be horrible either :) Sorry if this should be a discussions for 1Pass 4.x Mac but this was the newest discussions I could find on this type of feature and didn't want to open yet another discussions about it :) Let me know what you think of the idea

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Silas,

Thanks so much for providing such detailed feedback here! I think it's best if we continue this discussion in the 1Password 4 for Mac forum though, since we are talking about a new 1Password 4 feature. :)

Unfortunately, it is not possible to keep individual items in sync. This is because your 1Password data is encrypted at the vault level. Since we don't sync the items individually, we're not able to track changes in the way that you suggest.

Personally, I love being able to organize my database into separate vaults so that I can keep my work Logins and Identities separate from my personal information. But I can understand how having things stored in different vaults could make finding an item just a bit more difficult. A solution that we are considering that might make your life a bit simpler here is cross-vault searching. With this feature, if your primary vault was unlocked, you could search for an item, not just in the current vault, but in all secondary vaults as well. We've heard a lot of requests for this, and I'd be happy to add a vote to our issue tracker for you as well.

I hope this helps explain a bit more about multiple vaults, but if you have any more questions about how we can make multiple vaults work for you, please let me know!

This discussion has been closed.