Suggestion: User added code signed apps

Options
robert_m_muench
robert_m_muench
Community Member

How about adding a feature, where I can add a currently installed app (like Chromium) to 1Password manually, 1Password than calcs a code signing and x-checks it than? I would like this more than having to disable code-signing check completely.

Comments

• Jasper
    edited January 2014
    Options

An app has to be code signed by its developer.

From Apple's Code Signing Guide:

Code signing is a security technology, used in OS X, that allows you to certify that an app was created by you. Once an app is signed, the system can detect any change to the app—whether the change is introduced accidentally or by malicious code.

1Password's way of working around this is to allow you to disable the code signature check. 1Password can't do anything to effectively code sign browsers made by another developer. The browser's developer must sign their app before distributing it.

See this support article for more information about 1Password 4's code signature check:

Browser Code Signature Validation

• robert_m_muench
    robert_m_muench
    Community Member
    Options

Sure.

My idea was something different. If developers don't sign their code the Apple way I would like to be able to explicitly select an app, that can access 1Password from 1P preferences. You could create a hash of the app / or something like a fingerprint, so 1P knows the app was approved by me and didn't change.

IMO that's better than disabling the integrity check completely as I have to do now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robert_m_muench,

Thanks for your feedback! I'd be happy to pass this along to our developers. :)

This discussion has been closed.