5% CPU usage in locked and unlocked state and in background [moved to email]

Options
ostheimm
ostheimm
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

Hi all,

I have 1Password installed on a Macbook Air late 2010. So far it's working great, but in locked and unlocked state and in background I see a constant 5% CPU usage. The browser extensions and mini does not have any effects on CPU usage.

CPU: 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
OS X: Version 10.9.1
1Password: Version 4.1.2 (412009)
Browser extensions: Safari and Firefox

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Greetings

Comments

• ostheimm
    ostheimm
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

I also noticed that the kernel_task process is using additional 15% CPU while 1Password is running.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ostheimm,

Let's try re-starting 1Password and the Mini and see if that changes anything. Press Command-Control-Q to quit both 1Password and the Mini, and then re-open. Are you still seeing the 5% CPU usage?

• ostheimm
    ostheimm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Even after a reboot without starting any other applications still the same problem.

• ostheimm
    ostheimm
    Community Member
    Options

Next I've created a new test user account, rebooted and logged in to it. Still the same issue in this clean environment.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ostheimm,

Thanks for testing that out - I'm sorry to hear that didn't work though! Could you do me one more favour? Please open Activity Monitor and do a search for 1Password. Then take a screenshot of the window. There are instructions on how to take a screenshot here: http://take-a-screenshot.org/. You can save the image to a service like Dropbox or Droplr and include a link in your reply.

• ostheimm
    ostheimm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

here are two screenshots, one with 1Password running and one without:

http://www.vonostheim.de/images/with_1password.tiff

http://www.vonostheim.de/images/without_1password.tiff

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ostheimm,

Thanks for sending along those screenshots. I'm wondering, do you have 'Use Rich Icons' enabled in Preferences > General? If so, please disable them and see if this changes that CPU usage.

If it doesn't, we'll need to take a closer look at your system. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• ostheimm
    ostheimm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

'Use Rich Icons' (in German UI 'Farbige Icons verwenden') was enabled. Disabling it solved the problem, CPU usage dropped to zero.

Thank you very much for the good support :-). If you need more information to track down this strange behaviour I'm willing to help.

Greetings

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @ostheimm.

You're welcome, on @Megan's behalf.

Thanks for your feedback about this issue and generously offering to help track down its cause. Did you already email us a Diagnostics Report?

• ostheimm
    ostheimm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk,

the report is now out. It was made on my test user account with an empty 1Password vault.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Report received, @ostheimm -- thanks!

Mike's already sent you a reply and we'll continue following up directly through email to avoid any confusion or duplicate effort between here and there. :)

This discussion has been closed.