After Demo using Mac App Store Version. [moved to email]

Options
Blond
Blond
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

Having used the Demo version of 1Password 4 and built up my database I bought a copy from the Mac App Store. To my dismay the Mac App Store version can not find my database. I looked on this forum to see where the database lived but all suggestions have not helped.

I would have thought this should be straight forward. Any ideas?

Comments

• Blond
    Blond
    Community Member
    Options

Getting this error in the Console log

28/01/2014 8:37:36.684 am sandboxd[306]: ([1355]) 2BUA8C4S2C.com.a(1355) deny file-issue-extension /Applications/1Password.app

Still trying to get 1Password to work and still waiting for assistance from developers.

• Blond
    Blond
    Community Member
    Options

I downloaded and reinstalled Demo version of 1Password 4 to see if I had missed something and It immediately found my data. It also found my backups in preferences so the data is there the App Store version will just not use it. Tried to sync with iCloud but the option does not respond. Just thought if I could sync with iCloud then the App Store version could grab that sync from the cloud. I'm most probably missing something important but will keep trying.

• Blond
    Blond
    Community Member
    Options

I eventually managed to get 1Password 4 Demo to sync with iCloud, I don't know what was causing the problem so I'm not going to speculate.

Once 1Password 4 had made the sync to iCloud I then quit the Demo version and put it in the Trash. On Firing up 1Password 4 Apple App Store (I had not made a new vault with the App Store version) it immediately found the iCloud data and asked if I wanted to use it. I did and all my data was intact.

I then went to 1Password 4 Preferences checked the sync was set up for iCloud, it was, and then checked Backups which there were none so I hit Backup Now so that base was covered.

All looking good.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I recall that the Mac App Store version stores it's sync data in a different directory than the version from the AgileBits web store when you use Dropbox. I assume that was the source of your troubles. The same isn't a problem for iCloud.

If you do want to return to using Dropbox, you could do that now by tuning off iCloud syncing (and accepting the option to delete the data from iCloud if you wish), and then turn on Dropbox. 1Password will create the sync information in the proper location in your Dropbox sync directory.

If I were you, I wouldn't delete the iCloud data until after I was certain that Dropbox was back up and running.

• Blond
    Blond
    Community Member
    Options

I never used Dropbox. Or wanted to.

I used the Demo version of 1Password 4 downloaded from Agilebits then purchased from the Apple App Store. I expected the process going from Demo to App Store version to of been sorted out rather than cause a nightmare for the end user. I put down in writing what happened for me to try and get some help and to leave some info for those that might have the same problem. I always wanted iCloud syncing and as it failed to work from the Demo version assumed I needed to purchase the Apple App Store version for this functionality. Looks to me like once the App Store version is run it installs something that allows the Demo version to connect to iCloud but I can not be sure about this and it is something the developers should be looking at and commenting.

I found the Data stored by the Demo version but even when I navigated to the file the App Store version would not use it. Having got things working I need to know if 1Password 4 is saving locally, so far I have found no way of telling.

Trying to get a response from the developers is really difficult. I do get an automated reply saying they are backed up.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

One hint is that apparently if you send multiple emails about the same thing, each time you end up at the end of the queue. So best to be patient, which I know personally to be hard!

• Blond
    Blond
    Community Member
    Options

So far the forum has been the best place for information with people like yourself supporting others with no remuneration. Many thanks to those that do that, I've read a fair few forum posts to get to grips with 1Password. Certain topics may be being passed to those that can best deal with the problem or to people to test before an answer can be formulated. Something as simple as "We are working on it, may take a week" goes a long way.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Blond,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get things sorted out! I do apologize that it was a bit of a process for you here. I hope that things work smoothly for you from now on, but if you do have any further questions, please do let us know!

• Blond
    Blond
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan.
    Andrew Costen "Support Hero" from AgileBits has just contacted by email. I may have got the odd problem with syncing so I await another reply from him.

I may have tripped myself up by using the webstore version as a demo then switching to the Apple App Store version to purchase. I could find no documentation to assist in the process and stop me falling into the elephant traps along the way. If this is a sensible approach some documentation would be good.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Blond.

I'm sorry you had trouble switching to the MAS version of 1Password after your website version testing. We'll continue helping you resolve this through email so we're not getting wires crossed between here and there.

This discussion has been closed.