1Password mini - android style?

Options
David Mohl
David Mohl
Community Member

Hey there!

First off, thanks for the android version. Looks and feels good!
I have a small features request (I guess).

When using 1password a lot for logins here and then, I found it bothering to always go back to my launcher to launch 1Password, or use the fast switch button (which requires that I didn't close 1password before)

I was thinking if it'd be possible to add a notification bar widget which will open up 1password.
The widget will appear once the master password got verified. This way, you could see that 1password is running and use the 4 digit pin for fast unlocking.

Alternatively, close the app manually to remove the widget and fully lock 1password.

Just some ideas.

David

Comments

• You make an interesting suggestion, David. Allow me to provide a high level explanation of how your data is secured before addressing your specific suggestion.

Your 1Password data is encrypted in order to keep it safe. The encryption keys that allow that data to be read are themselves encrypted to keep them safe. The only thing that can unlock the encryption keys necessary to read your data is your master password. For security reasons, 1Password does not store your master password. When you launch 1Password, out of necessity it must ask you for your master password so that it can unlock the encryption keys it needs to read your data. Thus, if you don't want to enter your master password each time you return to the app, you must leave the app running.

If I understand the use case you are referring to, given the explanation above, I don't think that the notifications you suggest will help avoid the need to enter your master password. If 1Password is not running, then you will still need to enter your master password regardless of whether notifications are implemented this way. If 1Password is running, then the notifications you describe would bring you to the quick unlock screen in the same way that tapping the app icon or using the recents button (app switcher) would.

If I am misunderstanding your suggestion or if you find my explanation unclear, please let me know. I would be happy to discuss this further.

This discussion has been closed.