Import from SplashID

Options
RMSko
RMSko
Community Member

I'm interested in switching from SplashID to 1Password, but I first want to test it before purchasing. I downloaded the trial version and tried to import a SplashID vID file. I tried both a regular vID and a vID3 file. It wouldn't import all my records, and so then I tried it with just 2 records. Am I right that it will only import a limited number of records and that's why it wouldn't work when trying to import all my records? I'm not sure it's a useful feature anyway since a lot of reformatting is necessary after importing. Does anyone have experience importing from SplashID, and if yes, any suggestions?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

I moved from SplashID to 1Password last spring. I had imported my database into 1Password a few years earlier, when I first thought of moving, but I found that my highly customized categories and records weren't handled very well. At the time I gave up on moving over. Later I realized that I couldn't expect my idiosyncratic data to be handled smoothly by a generic importer, so when I finally did move, I reentered my data by hand. That wasn't fun, but I regard the time as having been well spent. I have about 250 records. Others have many more and my approach might not be suitable for them. As you observe, there is quite a bit of editing to be done, even if the importer works. This means there is real inertia working against switching among the various options for password management.

I guess this doesn't really solve your problem. I don't know why you can only import a few records at a time, but I thought perhaps this would be useful perspective from another migrant to 1Password. If you have a highly customized SplashID database like I had, it will be a chore to move.

I would suggest that you wait for a reply from a support person, who may well have some tips to help you.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi, @RMSko.

There's no limitation with the number of items you can import when using 1Password 4 in unlicensed trial mode.

This article has some basic information about SplashID importing:

How can I import data from another application?

Which version of SplashID are you exporting from?

Please check if the first line of the exported file is: SplashID vID File -v3.0

Also make sure your vID input file uses UTF-8 character encoding, as mentioned: here

Please let us know if you're still having trouble with importing after that. We're here to help. :)

• RMSko
    RMSko
    Community Member
    Options

I'm importing from SplashID v7. I have imported it as a v3.0 file, but that didn't work. It only works when I import less than 5 records and so that's why I thought it had something to do with the trial version. I haven't tried the UTF-8 character encoding so I'll also try that. At the end of the day, I think manual input may be the way to go b/c it's the only way I can ensure that the passwords look the way I want them to. I'm still waiting to hear back from Agilebits though - I asked whether they had any coupon available. I have a SplashID lifetime license, including cloud sync and so I'm also financially invested in Splash. But, if I can bring down the cost a bit, I think I'm going to make the change.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @RMSko.

Sometimes exporting subsets of SplashID items can help isolate where importing problems are. We'll be glad to take a look at any redacted samples of your vID input data that fails to import, determine the reason, and suggest how to fix it.

Secondary vaults can be handy for testing importing and/or storing imported data more permanently. I still have plenty of imported SplashID data in a secondary vault, which is slowly being manually modified and in some cases migrated to my Primary vault. That's still easier than entering it entirely from scratch and needn't be done in a single sitting. :)

And there this option:

If a lot of SplashID items do get imported as Secure Notes a workaround is changing them to Web Login types in SplashID before exporting so they'll be imported as Login items with custom fields in 1P4. There'd be some pre-export or post-import field label renaming, too.

Not optimal, but sometimes something to consider.

We'll be responding to your email about licensing as soon as possible.

• RMSko
    RMSko
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response. I'm just getting learning the system and am embarrassed to say that I don't yet even know what a secondary vault is. Is that automatically created when the items are imported?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

No reason for embarrassment, @RMSko. I'm happy you're learning and am glad to help. :)

1Password 4 supports multiple vaults. Every 1Password database has at least a single Primary vault and you can optionally create new "secondary" vaults. This article has more detailed information:

Multiple Vaults

There are a few more articles under Vaults on the 1Password 4 Knowledgebase page.

In one of my 1P4 databases I created a secondary vault named SplashID and imported my SID data into it. Sometimes I access that SplashID vault to send items to the Primary vault, optionally edited, for more regular usage. Or I'll look up something there and leave it so it doesn't unnecessarily clutter the Primary vault.

If you might like to use multiple vaults I suggest doing some testing to get the hang of them before committing to more serious, long-term usage. One possibility is to select New Demo Vault… under the main 1Password menu to create a Demo vault with sample data to mess around with.

Have fun. :)

• Empire01
    Empire01
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but after creating a splashed.vid file from Splashid v7, then attempting to import to a secondary vault I've called 'splashed' all I get is a dong sound (i.e. its doesn't like it) and nothing happens, no import wizard nothing.
    I've done this before and its worked, but I'm obviously doing something stupid for it not to work this time. C
    Could someone please put me out of my misery
    Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Empire01.

I'm sorry 1Password 4 being uncooperative when importing your SplashID data. Here are a few suggestions:

• Use File > Export > SplashID vID when exporting from SplashID.

• Make sure the first line of the exported vID file is: SplashID vID File -v3.0

• Make sure the character encoding of the exported vID file is Unicode (UTF-8):

• Open the .vid file with TextEdit and select File > Save As… (Option-Shift-Command-S)
      • In the save dialog window:

• If necessary, change Plain Text Encoding to Unicode (UTF-8)
        • Append something like -UTF-8.vid to the Save As filename
      • Confirm Use .vid when saving the new file

• Exporting subsets of SplashID items can help isolate where importing problems are.

If necessary we'd be glad to take a look at any redacted samples of your vID input data that's failing to import, determine the cause, and suggest how to fix it. Anything to help put you out of your misery in a positive way. :)

• willstewart
    willstewart
    Community Member
    Options

This still does not work for me either, with your various suggestions.

More details:-
    1 - even on SID7.1 it seems the export .sid formats are back to front (so sid3 does not work but sid does and says it is version3)
    2 - an exported .csv file does not work, either
    3 - only single records import (and only from .sid files), even though the .csv files for example look fine
    4 - all other files fail with no message, just a beep (except single record 'sid3' files which fail with a note)

I am new to 1Password and have hundreds of records to import so one-by-one hardly cuts it. all subsets and the full set fail.

• mkrunyan
    mkrunyan
    Community Member
    Options

I am testing 1P as a possible successor to SplashID. I cannot get the 1P trial version to see the vID file in the Import dialog. Is that a trial version restriction?

BTW, assuming I get that far, I had to do the vID export from my iPhone, so I could not set any parameters....

• willstewart
    willstewart
    Community Member
    Options

OK - an update; it appears that the renaming of the vid file to end '-UTF-8.vid' is crucial (this rather than the actual encoding, which may be fine). With this amendment and .vid format the import works. Note that you need to choose 'vid' format in the import selection window and mkrunyan, even then the desired input file remains greyed out in the selection window - but it will still select and import.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @willstewart,

It's great to hear you've been able to get your SplashID data imported! I'm sorry it wasn't a streamlined process to do it.

Any properly formatted vID file with a .vid filename extension should work fine; the "-UTF-8" part isn't necessary. On Mavericks, you're right about it appearing greyed out in the Import window you open it from even though it can be selected there.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @mkrunyan,

I'm not familiar with how the iOS version of SplashID exports data but will work with you to get it imported into 1Password 4. There are no restrictions with 1Password 4 during its 30 day trial period so that's not the reason you're having trouble.

Does the file you're trying to import have a .vid extension and can you select it in the Import window? Make sure you've chosen SplashID (.vid) as the File Format, before trying to select the file:

Please let me know where you stuck if you've gotten that far and we'll figure out what to do next. Thanks!

• mkrunyan
    mkrunyan
    Community Member
    Options

I've got ver. 1.0.9.340 for Windows. The file format options in File | Import do not include .vid, therefore I can't even see the SplashID.vid file.

• mkrunyan
    mkrunyan
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I see that I am in the Mac room. I'll move over to Windows.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @mkrunyan,

I see you've moved: Can't import SplashID .vid file into 1P Windows

No worries about your SplashID postings here. :)

Are you able to export your SplashID data from your iPhone in CSV format that 1Password for Windows might be able to import? I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any support for importing SplashID's vID data format.

Or do you have access to any Mac where you could run 1Password 4 at least during the 30 day trial period to import your SplashID data and export it as 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) data that can be imported with 1Password for Windows?

• findford
    findford
    Community Member
    Options

I am also moving from SplashID 7 to 1Password for Mac, and have a ton of entries to transfer. I was able to import the entries following your advice above, but they all appear as secure notes with everything dumped into the note data field. Did I do something wrong to keep them from translating into proper categories with the data populating the correct fields, or is that just what happens on import?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @findford,

Which type of items did you export from SplashID that are all imported into Secure Note items with 1Password 4? And were they exported using File > Export > SplashID vID?

The import guide says:

1Password will import web logins, credit cards, bank accounts, software serial numbers, and identification (driver license). Other items will import as secure notes.

For example, your Web Logins from SplashID should be importing as Logins with 1Password.

Can you create a small redacted sample file of SplashID data for types listed above that are incorrectly importing as Secure Notes, upload it somewhere, and send me a link to it in a private message? One way to create that sample is by duplicating items in SplashID, editing/removing any personal info from the duplicates, then exporting just those. Maybe test importing it before uploading to confirm it's still troublesome.

After seeing the sample data I can figure out the problem and suggest how you can fix it. Thanks!

• findford
    findford
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I used the export process you describe. The items included all of the kinds of items listed in the import guide, but all were imported as secure notes. The bulk of the items are logins, so do you think I should try to export and import only that category as a next attempt? Thanks for your quick reply above!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @findford. You're running 1Password 4.2.2?

Next you could try exporting a few duplicated/redacted items of SplashID Web Logins and if 1Password still imports them as Secure Notes then upload that vID data file and private message me a link to it and I'll take a look at it here. That'll make troubleshooting quicker and less speculative. :)

• findford
    findford
    Community Member
    Options

Done. And the two items in the file also imported as secure notes when I tried again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @findford,

I've downloaded the sample file and replied to you about two issues with it. Summarizing here:

• Items from SplashID need to be exported with a Web Logins Type for 1Password to import them as Login items.
    • Some fields in your items differ from those in the default Web Logins Type so they won't be imported with correct Login item fields in 1Password.

The importer currently doesn't support remapping of SplashID types/fields into 1Password categories/fields. It expects SplashID vID input data with default types/fields to get the best results.

Duplicating and modifying items in SplashID that you're intending to import with 1Password is a workaround if you want to retain types/fields of the original SplashID items.

I hope that's a preferable alternative to having all the items imported as Secure Notes in 1Password.

• Avantjer
    Avantjer
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Today I decided to switch from using "SplashID", (for many years), to "1Password" because I never felt the quality of SplashID was very good.
    What a mistake! Now I just wish I had my money back from purchasing 1Password for my Mac and iOS devices.
    Suddenly SplashID is looking like a dream-come-true in comparison to "1Password".

Problem #1: 1Password fails to import from SplashID, even though the marketing claims it can.

When 1Password fails to import from SplashID .vid file, it just "beeps" with no further explanation or help to the user.
    After scouring online forums and trying all the silly workarounds suggested by others, including AgileBits, I tried just exporting/importing a few records at a time, (from over a hundred), and discovered that there was just one record that had a "tm" trademark symbol in the notes.
    This one symbol, in one record was causing the entire import to fail?!?!?!
    Really!?!? I am flabbergasted for many reasons, the main one being "Quality Assurance" and "Testing".

Problem #2: 1Password imports all SplashID records as "Secure Notes" regardless of the category assigned in SplashID.

Problem #3: 1Password provides no facility for the user to change the category of any of its records.

...so the user can't even manually change the category of the hundreds of records imported.
    ...so now I'm stuck with ALL my records being little yellow "Secure Notes" regardless of the category assigned in SplashID.

I'm a software engineer myself who also spent many years in SQA at Apple, so I am VERY much aware of what egregious oversights these are.

I've already posted a warning for all my friends on Facebook against purchasing "1Password".

I will express my opinions about the poor quality of 1Password in every forum available to me.

I don't expect that this honest indictment will be published with solutions in your forum.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Avantjer,

I'm really sorry you've gotten off to a rough start with 1Password by having so much trouble with importing your data from SplashID. I've merged your topic with a related one and am happy to help with each of your specific problems:

[#1]

With All Messages selected in the Console application, look for a message like this that appears during a failed import attempt:

04/11/2014 6:32:23.463 AM 1Password 4[15900]: 430012 [IMPORT:0x6080008601c0:<OPImportController: 0x6080004c4ec0>] E importFileAtURL:ofType:subtype: | Failed to read import data: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=261 "The file “SplashID_Export.vid” couldn’t be opened using text encoding Unicode (UTF-8)." UserInfo=0x600000876980 {NSFilePath=/Users/uname/Documents/SplashID_Export.vid, NSStringEncoding=4}

This indicates the input file is probably using Western (Mac OS Roman) text encoding. Converting it to UTF-8 text encoding (e.g. using TextEdit, as explained earlier in post #9) should resolve that problem and allow importing of data containing special characters like ™.

Also make sure the first line of the exported vID file is: SplashID vID File -v3.0

[#2]

The reason everything is being imported as Secure Note items is probably what I mentioned in my latest reply to @findford:

The importer currently doesn't support remapping of SplashID types/fields into 1Password categories/fields. It expects SplashID vID input data with default types/fields to get the best results.

The SplashID Type -> 1Password 4 Category mappings are essentially:

• Bank Accts -> Bank Accounts
    • Credit Cards -> Credit Cards
    • Identification -> Drivers Licenses
    • Serial Numbers -> Software Licenses
    • Web Logins -> Logins
    • Other Types -> Secure Notes

And the field ordering matters. For SplashID Web Logins, it's:

• T,21,Web Logins,Description,Username,Password,URL,Field 5,Field 6,Field 7,Field 8,Field 9,Date Mod,4,

And sample data for that would be:

• F,21,Amazon [Sample],johndoe,mom67rib,www.amazon.com,,,,,,"May 17,2010",,,,4,Description,Username,Password,URL,Field 5,Field 6,,,,,Personal,Customer Service: 800-555-1212

The 1Password Login item created when importing looks like this:

Also from my reply to @findford‌:

Duplicating and modifying items in SplashID that you're intending to import with 1Password is a workaround if you want to retain types/fields of the original SplashID items.

Doing that pre-export "item triage" in SplashID should be easier than cleaning up the exported data.

We know there's still room for improvement with 1Password's SplashID importer. Unfortunately SplashData has never published the SplashID vID data formats.

[#3]

Requests for converting items to different categories have come up before, it's on our list, and I've added your "vote" for it. As @Megan wrote:

The tricky thing here is that each 1Password category has been designed with certain default categories, some of which need to be filled in on websites, so moving between categories is not quite a simple thing to implement.

I still have imported SplashID data in Secure Note items ("archived" in a secondary vault) that's more suitable for other item categories. My actual use of that data has determined how much I've manually converted over time. Call me biased, but I'd never consider returning to SplashID regardless of how and where 1Password imported its data. And I had plenty invested in SplashID before switching to 1Password several years ago.

I sure hope your experience with 1Password improves and we're always here to help you in any way we can! :)

• mgnyc
    mgnyc
    Community Member
    Options

I can't get any records to import from my splash id export (vid file). I am on mac mavericks. I have no idea what a UTF-8 text encoding is nor how to sit the file. It does import into splash id (and other password managers). I am trying to decide if I am going to migrate over.

• mgnyc
    mgnyc
    Community Member
    Options

So there is no help? Only what other users figure out?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @mgnyc,

Post #9 earlier in this topic has instructions for opening your exported SplashID file with TextEdit and saving it with the UTF-8 text encoding that 1Password 4 can import. There are a couple other tips in that post, too.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sit the file".

Please try exporting just a few items from SplashID to test importing with 1Password 4. Use the previous tips with that small sample and if you still can't get it working we'll be here to help you fix this. Thanks!

• paulzagaeski
    paulzagaeski
    Community Member
    Options

Reporting success importing 395 SplashID Safe (v7.2.1) records from a .vid file into 1Password 4 Mac, following instructions in Post #9. The import even found new custom icons for most of the Web Login items coming from SplashID Safe. The first line of the .vid created by SplashID Safe Version 7.2.1 reads "SplashID vID File -v4.0". Changing that to "-v3.0" and saving as UTF-8 created an export file that worked 100%.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @paulzagaeski,

Thanks for reporting the changes you made to your exported SplashID data to successfully import it with 1Password 4. It looks like the SplashID importer for 1Password could be updated to also accept -v4.0 in addition to -v3.0. And maybe handle any necessary text encoding conversion.

Have a great week!

• DABurack
    DABurack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

I may have missed this in the thread, but what finally worked for me was saving the SplashID Export-UTF-8 file without the .vid extension. It happened by accident. When going through the "save as" dialogue in TextEdit, as you recommended, I did add the -UTF-8.vid, but the file saved without the .vid extension anyway. I had left the "If no extension is provided, use ".txt". box checked; perhaps that had something to do with it. Anyway, the entire 333 item vid file seems to have imported to 1Password, although most entries have information in notes. Not as bad a situation as it might have been.

This discussion has been closed.