First impressions (v4.0.0b9)

Guido Kollerie
Guido Kollerie
Community Member

This is my first look at the 1Password Android Beta. I am very pleased to see a fully functioning 1Password application on Android. The ability to finally creating new login items and generate passwords is very, very welcome. It seems to support automatic syncing, though I have yet to test that. Anyway this all looks very promising. Thank you very much for your hard work.

Now for some (hopefully) constructive feedback

Look and Feel

I'm a big Android fan and a sucker for consistency so initially I was a little put off that it didn't strictly follow Google's design guide (https://developer.android.com/design/index.html). On second thought I can understand the effort to provide a consistent look and feel across all 1Password incarnations (OS X, IOS & Android).

However even with a more custom look and feel than recommended by Google's Design guide, I would urge you to put 'Settings' where most Android users expect them to find: in the action bar, in the 'action overflow' (the three vertically aligned dots in the upper right corner).

Generating passwords

The dialog is a little too small. If I slide the slider to the right to generate a password of 30 characters then the password is too long to display properly.

There doesn't seem to be a setting for preferred password length. Nor does the generate password dialog remember the last password length used. It always starts with a length of 12. Please consider remembering the last password length used or provide a preferred password length setting.

Adding new items

When all categories are displayed the action bar contains a '+' sign to add a new item. Within a specific category the '+' sign is gone and I need to go to the 'action overflow' and tap Add. Please provide a '+' sign in the action bar in each specific category.

Viewing an item

Passwords are masked when viewing an item. To reveal or copy the password I have to tap the small 'spinner' on the right end of the screen. This spinner is a little to small. Especially when the phone is in a protective case with upstanding edges. Either make the masked password field one big spinner. Or allow for the following:

• short tap on masked password field -> reveal
  • long press on masked password field -> copy

Comments

• Thank you for your very constructive feedback. I'll try to address each of your points in turn.

Look and feel: The look and feel of the app is something that we're currently reviewing. Things have changed both internally and externally since we first began work on the app, so it's a bit like hitting a moving target. Expect to see some changes to the design in the near future.

Generating passwords: We've concluded some of the same things about the password generation interface. It is on our design team's radar. I'll also suggest remembering the previous password length to our development team.

Adding new items: We have received this request from a number of our beta users. I will add your vote.

View an item: This is one of the most popular requests that we get. I will include your suggestion of tapping vs. long pressing in the discussion. For now, you can achieve a higher success rate in tapping the triangle if you aim up and to the left of it (the image occupies the bottom right space of its tappable area).

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming!

• tofagerl
    tofagerl
    Community Member

Re: viewing items. I see now that the button is really to the upper left of the little triangle, but the button itself is both a little small, and confusing, since by trying to hit the triangle, you'll often press outside the real button. Why not just have buttons/fields underneath the username and password fields which say "copy" or "reveal" (in the case of the password field)? Why make it harder than it needs to be to do literally THE most common task you open the application to do?

• @tofagerl: To be clear, I am not stating that the copy/reveal mechanism will stay the way that it is currently implemented. We have received a lot of feedback about this and our design team is currently looking at alternative ways of providing this feature. Since this is something that may yet change, I was simply providing Guido with a suggestion to help with usability until such a time as it is changed. I hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.