CSV won't import into 1Password 4

Options
Mongozen
Mongozen
Community Member

I have an excel doc I have been using to track passwords. I converted this to a csv and formatted the information according to the guide on the site. I made sure there were no line breaks in the notes area and made sure empty cells were completely blank in the CSV.

With all of this in place every time I try to import all I get is a beep and nothing else. I have combed over the csv trying to find something but I can't figure it out.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Mongozen.

I'm sorry your CSV file is failing to import into 1Password 4. Which version of 1P4 are you running and does the CSV file use CR, LF, or CF+LF newline (line break) character(s)?

If you're running 4.1.3 or earlier please try "UNIX-style" newlines, which you can convert to (if necessary) using the LineBreak GUI utility:

If you're running a 4.2 beta please try "DOS-style" newlines:

It may also help if the CSV file uses UTF-8 character encoding:

• Open the .csv file with TextEdit and select File > Save As… (Option-Shift-Command-S)
    • In the save dialog window:

• If necessary, change Plain Text Encoding to Unicode (UTF-8)
      • Use a new name like import-utf8.csv as the Save As filename
    • Confirm Use .csv when saving the new file

I hope those tips will get importing working for you. Please let me know how it goes.

• Mongozen
    Mongozen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that. Got it working kind of, ended up having to enter about 20 records manually for no reason I could find.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's great to hear you got some importing working, @Mongozen. Of course I wish it was totally working instead of "kind of". :)

Thank you for the followup on this. Were either/both of the tips specifically helpful?

This discussion has been closed.