Request for new features: Specific keyboard shortcut to copy a password

Options
Morphe
Morphe
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

Hi,

I would like to request one feature that would be awsome for me and some others I think. But first, I will explain in 2 points why I need it:

1- As you know, Apple published some security best practice for our Mac. One of the most important Apple's Best Practice is to totally and fully separate your personal account with your admin account. That means that every single conf you will do on your mac will not be possible until you enter your admin credential (Very painful, but really secure).

2- General Best Pratice security recommands that for maximum security, we must enter very long password. It is even better to enter a long password than a complexe one. I let you check on the web (https://howsecureismypassword.net/) the time calculation for long password regarding complex one. Best of all is to use long AND complex password :D

If we take into account those 2 points, I have to enter frequently my admin credential which is a really long password. I let you imagine how painfull it is and the number of mistake I can do by entering a 25 caracters password (not the real lenght ^^).

So, the feature I would like to have in 1P, is a configurable keyboard shortcut" that will put into the Clipboard the password of a choosen account (for me, it will be my admin account). And only when 1P is unlocked of course :D

The summum would be to make a shortcut that copy AND paste at the same time the password (one action less to do).
It would also be useful for me to have more than 1 shortcut (for other non-web app).

The second advantage of such feature, is to increase the security level of my computer. By doing so, my admin account will also be protected from keylogger as I will never type my password anymore.

I tried to make this request as clear as I could. Sorry if it is the mess, but english is not my native languages.

Thank you.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there, @Morphe.

Thanks for the request and detailed explanation. It and your english are clear to me. :)

What you can currently do is select an item in 1P mini (e.g. one for your admin account), anchor the details window so it stays on the screen, the click password to copy it to the clipboard. Something like this:

It'll look different in 4.2 (currently in beta) but has the same functionality:

I hope that helps!

• Morphe
    Morphe
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for your answer. It partially answer to my request when I have huge conf to do on my mac. Really good tips. :D

But in day-to-day work, if I have some "admin" actions to perform, I do not want to keep a windows on the top of my screen.

I will keep your tip in mind, but I think the feature is still needed for me. Especially if you can setup more than one shortcut. It allows to manage non-web application :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @Morphe. Thanks for the followup.

Your suggestion seems related to 1P4 for Mac supporting an "auto-type mechanism", which @jpgoldberg recently commented on, for being able to use it with non-web apps.

• Morphe
    Morphe
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Yes it could be related. And as they said, it is a killing feature that totally miss 1P.

My feature request is a little bit simple. I just would like a keyboard shorcut that will put into clipboard a password corresponding to a choosen account.

If you can do auto-type, I would say: "Hell yes !!! I want it". But instead asking for the moon, I'd rather ask for a simple feature, really easy to implement for you. And a feature that could really change my day-to-day life with 1P.

Do you think you can study my request, and perhaps implement it ?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Morphe,

Sure, I'll pass your request along to the developers. :)

It's possible to use software like Keyboard Maestro for copying a password to the clipboard through 1P mini, similar to what @danco does to fill in identity and credit card info using keystrokes. The steps would be something like this (with 1Password unlocked):

• Press Option-Command-\ to open 1P mini.
    • Enter text to search for specific item.
    • Press Right-Arrow to open details window.
    • Optionally press Down-Arrow(s) to get to the password field.
    • Press Return to copy the password to the clipboard.
  • Morphe
    Morphe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

Thank you very much for the support you give to me, and the solution you found. I was not aware of this software. But 36$ for just a simple missing feature, it is a little bit too expensive for me. I must check if this kind of software exists for free or if keyboard maestro could help me to do other things in my workflow (and worth its 36$).

Cool, you pass my request to the dev. Thank you very much :D

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi again, @Morphe.

Here's my attempt at a partial mockup of your Copy password for item shortcut request:

(where <Item> would be one you select)

The shortcut would work anywhere, like the one for Show 1Password mini. Is that what you have in mind?

• Hey @sjk,

I'd love a quicker way to copy passwords too. My request a long time ago was when a login is selected in the app or mini, Command + C should copy the password.

So:

1. Press Option-Command-\ to open 1P mini.
    2. Enter text to search for specific item.
    3. Press Command-C to copy password to clipboard.

This would be awesome in my opinion! It would eliminate a few extra steps, and Command-C is already such a natural keyboard shortcut for copy.

@dteare said "This is a great idea. We should do this." Still waiting... ;)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hey @JasperP,

3. Press Command-C to copy password to clipboard.

Try Shift-Command-C. :D

Confession: Before now I had no clue that worked or I'd have brought it up earlier. I hope that helps @Morphe, too.

• Jasper
    edited February 2014
    Options

Wow, that's awesome! When was that added? Are the pre-release beta release notes available somewhere still?

I'd still prefer Command-C though. More natural. I personally would choose Command-C to copy password and Shift-Command-C to copy username.

But that's still great to know! I don't know how I missed that. Thanks, @sjk. :)

• I have the Copy Password menu option in the main app set to use Command-C (System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts), but I don't think it's possible to customize this in mini. Am I correct, @sjk?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

A brief attempt to find when that shortcut was added came up empty, @JasperP.

Command-C is already the standard shortcut for copying text in mini's search field.

There's no Copy Password command revealed in 1P mini to use with a shortcut, like you can with vault switching shortcuts.

• Thanks for checking, @sjk. I pulled a couple old betas from Time Machine and it was added sometime between 4.0.BETA-69 and 4.0.BETA-82. Which means less than two weeks after I requested it. Thanks, @dteare. :D

• This other request I just made in the beta forum would cut out even another step for copying a password for an app.

Copying the password for a specific app would be as simple as:

1. Press Option-Command-\ to open 1P mini.
    2. Press Shift-Command-C to copy password to clipboard.

:)

• Morphe
    Morphe
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry JasperP, I come back to my original request.

To answer to your question sjk, it is exactly what I want. Thanks to that you can create an item "master account" and use its password easily.

It would be awsome if you could implement this a future update of 1P :D

• Haha, sorry @Morphe, I kinda hijacked your thread here. I can see how your idea would be very helpful too. :)

• Morphe
    Morphe
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

No Problem @JasperP. thanks to you & @sjk I manage to copy pwd from 1PMini (shift-CMD-C) Cool :D
    Awesome in complement of my request :p

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your request is now in our tracker, @Morphe, along with my simple mockup. Cheers! :)

• Morphe
    Morphe
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @sjk :)

This discussion has been closed.