Syncing on 1Password Public Beta 4.5b34

Options
1opinion
1opinion
Community Member

I just tried to sync using iCloud and it just took me to a black screen and nothing happened

Comments

• Mike Beasley
    Mike Beasley
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Syncing is totally broken in this beta. Here are steps to reproduce a variety of issues:

Existing install

iCloud

1) Open syncing preferences

2) Select iCloud

3) Black screen, no sync options

Dropbox

1) Open syncing preferences

2) Select Dropbox

3) Login

4) Select your keychain

5) Lengthy error message saying the file does not exist (when it actually does)

New install

iCloud

1) Choose "existing user"

2) Select iCloud syncing

3) Error message saying there is no data in iCloud

Dropbox

1) Choose "existing user"

2) Select Dropbox syncing

3) Login

4) Select your keychain

5) Lengthy error message saying the file does not exist (when it actually does)

Because I was testing a new installation of the app, I almost wasn't able to get my data back. Thankfully I'm in the Mac/Windows betas and was able to use Wi-Fi syncing (which does work) to get my saved passwords back.

• doetraar
    doetraar
    Community Member
    Options

Same here - only way I could get any syncing to work was to use WiFi syncing. Neither Dropbox nor iCloud (preferred) would work. I'm also using the latest beta of 7.1 iOS, which may be an issue here as well.

1Password Public Beta 4.5b34 (405034) to be precise on the version.

• Mike Beasley
    Mike Beasley
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, for diagnostic purposes, I'm on iOS 7.0.4. I'm jailbroken but I suspect that's not the issue here since it seems widespread and I have no tweaks installed that could impact 1Password.

• rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    Options

I can sync with dropbox, but black screen for iCloud.

I can't find a way to add an additional sync method after having synced to dropbox.
    How is this done in 4.5b34? I assume it is possible since drop box has 'Primary' tag.

In the current production ios version I sync to both dropbox and iCloud.
    Dropbox is forbidden at work (mac) and I use windows at home so I need iOS device to bridge dropbox<->iCloud.

• T_Will
    T_Will
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't receive an error when initially setting up Dropbox sync, but after setting up sync, and after adding a new item, it still stated "never synced" in the Sync settings. Sync finally ran after killing 1Password from the multitasking tray and restarting.

• Mike Beasley
    Mike Beasley
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, on the topic of syncing... the "Stop using the account" button on Dropbox account info page does not work :(

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2014
    Options

How does one exit the WiFi syncing page after sync has finished? I can switch out of 1PW IOS, and return, but there probably needs to be a better way.

• Mike Beasley
    Mike Beasley
    Community Member
    Options

I had to force-quit the app to get out of the Wi-Fi sync page. That should probably be addressed too. :P

• ayn
    ayn
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Syncing is a little wonky on b34. I had to delete the apps on both devices and setup Dropbox syncing and waited for everything to download, which took a while.

Before b34 I could use wifi sync to sync initially and then setup Dropbox for subsequent sync. It's unclear how I would do that in b34. I tried syncing via wifi after re-installing the app, and it's not clear how to proceed after it finished syncing. I could pop the viewcontroller with an edge-swipe, but it didn't really go anywhere. Killing the app brought me back into a usable state, but I saw 2 "primary" syncing methods in the Sync screen. So I just ended up re-installing again and chose Dropbox and waited for everything to download. (my keychain is about 65MB)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Yep - syncing via iCloud is totally broken as described in the original post.

• jaydisc
    jaydisc
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Yup, had to force quit to get out of WiFi Sync screen. Also, upon any visit to sync, it says Primary - Not Synced TWICE. Once I choose one, get to WiFi, choose my Mac, it shows that it syncs a few days/minutes ago, but once I'm there, I can't get out. Stuck.

I blame Rooni :)

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There's a lot of work to be done here, folks. Thanks for all your feedback. We were able to reproduce the iCloud black screen issue and will work on fixing that. In addition, you'll note that there's no sync progress indicator, so we need to work on that, too. If this build's too rough around the edges, please switch back to the App Store version until the next beta's available.

One thing you might try, if you want to stick with it, is resetting the app and establishing the sync from the welcome screen. I sync with Dropbox. I tapped Settings > Advanced > Erase data and restarted the app. Then, I tapped the "existing user" option and configured Dropbox sync. While I missed the visual cue, the sync did work perfectly. Note that I haven't tested this with iCloud.

• AudioBear
    AudioBear
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Yes, I had to quit as well after WiFi sync. It is not easy to see how to navigate backwards.

As an aside, surely this can be made to happen in one screen with less user interaction?
    There seems to be way to many actions for a simple and common thing like sync.

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AudioBear Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We'll work on simplifying things wherever possible.

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for chiming in, Nik. I love the direction you guys are going with the sync UI.

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you, @ethansisson, appreciate the kind words. =)

• Mike Beasley
    Mike Beasley
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

@Nik I have a very weird report regarding Dropbox syncing. I think I've figured out why it was broken as listed in my post above, but the solution raises another question.

1Password for iOS looks for a file called 1Password.agilekeychain in the root Dropbox directory. There is also a file with the exact same name inside a directory called "1Password" that does not have the same size or modification date as the other. Essentially there are two different files here. One is from 2011 and the other is from today.

After having a bunch of "No 1Password data found in your Dropbox" errors, I deleted the AgileKeychain that was in my Dropbox root and setup 1P for Mac (latest beta) to sync with Dropbox (previously using iCloud). This created a new/different keychain in the root directory and updated the one in the 1Password directory.

My big question now is why there are two files with the same name in different directories, and what purpose each one serves. The one in the Dropbox root is only 14 kb, not big enough to hold much of anything. The one inside the 1Password directory is much larger and definitely contains my saved data. What is the purpose for having two of them? Why are they both needed? Why do they have the same name? Seems very odd.

It seems the new iOS beta was choking on something in the old AgileKeychain (the smaller root directory one). Deleting it and letting the Mac version re-create it solved the issue. Both of the files now have the same "modified" date and time (two seconds apart).

Update: I deleted all 1Password files from my Dropbox, turned off all syncing, and erased all data from my mobile apps (stable and beta), leaving my data only available in my Mac app locally. Then I turned Dropbox syncing back on. This time it only created/updated one Vault file. Not sure what happened before, but things seem to be functioning normally now.

Such is the Beta Life, I guess!

• failgunner
    failgunner
    Community Member
    Options

So the visual indicator missing was cleared up before but I have some issues with Secure notes not syncing. I made changes on different devices to see if they made it to others on launch and sync (1 second ago / 10 seconds ago) and there were changes missing. It also crashed once but the report should be sent already.

• rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi Nik,
    After having set up dropbox ok how do you add iCloud sync?
    I can see change sync but not add additional sync.

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

@ Mike,

My big question now is why there are two files with the same name in different directories,

You've been using 1Password so long, you get ALL THE FUN. =)

So…we went through a few iterations of this, based on changes in the Dropbox API, design decisions, stuff 'n' whatnot. 1Password 3, at one time, used 1Password.agilekeychain in ~/Dropbox, by default. 1Password 4, by default, syncs with

~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

As you discovered by starting fresh, there's just the one file.

@failgunner We'd need to investigate specific sync issues individually, so if you're still experiencing problems…well, normally I'd invite you to send us diagnostics, but as the new sync is still very much a WIP, I'll instead recommend that you see how it works for you in the next beta, and then we can look at diagnostics if you're still having trouble.

@rolfl You must choose one sync method.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Resetting and trying to re-establish iCloud sync isn't working. App states it cannot find any iCloud data.

• rolfl
    rolfl
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi Nick,

Is the limit of one sync method just for this beta?

At work (mac) we are not allowed to use dropbox and hence use iCloude. However, I use windows at home and hence need to use dropbox.

In production ios app I have enabled both dropbox and iCloud sync to keep mac and Win in sync.

Please tell me you will still be supporting multi sync on iOS.

• failgunner
    failgunner
    Community Member
    Options

@nik thanks. I'll do that.

• nateboateng
    nateboateng
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue as Mike did. Things for me weren't updating correctly on either side, even though the apps said a sync was completed. I dumped everything in the mobile app, removed files from Dropbox and started over. Everything seems fine now.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

I also deleted the app to wipe out the data and reinstalled b35 and it also failed to see anything in iCloud.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Sync still broken in b35. Cannot find iCloud data. Wifi synced from my Mac, attempted to sync via iCloud, and get black screen (of death).

• gershon
    gershon
    Community Member
    Options

I have been synching via WiFi and have had no problems so far. When I received the iOs Beta, I synched with my Mac 1P4 and since then have had no problems.

• Brooks
    Brooks
    Community Member
    Options

I'm finding records (passwords, notes, credit cards) created under 4.5b35 are not showing up in either 1Password 4.1.2 (Mac) or 1Password 4.3.2 (iOS). I'm also finding that records created under both those version are not showing up in 4.5b35 despite the sync screen showing a sync happened after the new items were added.

• @rolfl: Unfortunately syncing from here on out will be with only one service/mode at a time.

@WalrusCP and @cortig We're still working on improvements to the iCloud piece of the syncing equation, so you can expect some improvements in this area in upcoming betas.

@Brooks How are you syncing with your Mac and other version of 1Password on iOS?

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni, in the meanwhile, I played with dropbox. One thing I noticed that made things a little tedious is that the sync stops when the phone locks itself. I constantly had to touch the screen to make sure 1Password remained active to get all my data in…

This discussion has been closed.