Import from pwSafe / Password Safe 3

Options
JT089
JT089
Community Member

Is it possible, to import password Data from Password Safe 3? Found no corresponding item in the import dialog. Also the 1Password 3 way does´t seem to work anymore.

Thanks and kind regards

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi there, @JT089.

1Password 4 currently supports these import formats:

This guide has additional information:

How can I import data from another application?

While Password Safe 3 data can't be directly imported with 1Password 4, it's on the list of software that 1Password 3 is capable of importing:

Importing Data into 1Password | 1Password 3 User Guide

You can use 1Password 3 (downloadable from here) to import your data, then export it in 1Password Interchange Format (1PIF) format so that 1Password 4 can import it. That method has been suggested in other topics, e.g.: here.

To import using 1Password 3 if you're running Mavericks (10.9), open the Terminal app (from /Applications/Utilities) then copy and paste this single line into it:

env PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin '/Applications/1Password 3.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password'

That assumes the 1Password 3 app is in the /Applications folder and named 1Password 3.app. You'll need to adjust that if yours is named differently. This will allow the import scripts to use the older version of Ruby and properly import your data.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions or issues.

• richbodo
    richbodo
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like you removed psafe3 import in onepassword4. So psafe3 users need to write code to convert their databases before import. Not sure what columns this program wants. You don't happen to have a script you can point us at that will knock that task out? It clearly used to be a feature of onepassword3:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/import_passwords.html

• richbodo
    richbodo
    Community Member
    Options

O.k. I got it! Password Gorilla will export to plain text csv. So you just go offline, export, import, and onepassword is good enough to figure out the columns. Just import directly into onepassword4 this way from password gorilla.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @richbodo,

Before seeing your latest followup, I merged your original post with another topic that has some information about importing Password Safe 3 data into 1Password 4. Using 1Password 3 as an intermediary them between would be one option. However …

It looks like you've found a simpler alternative of using Password Gorilla to export Password Safe 3 data in CSV format that 1Password 4 can successfully import (without even changing the column ordering). Nice.

Thanks a lot for sharing your solution! If there's still anything we can help you with please don't hesitate to ask. :)

This discussion has been closed.