1P just stopped populating user name ... and sometimes password on most sites

Options
Randomizer
Randomizer
Community Member

It started within the last couple of days. Most of the time it is not populating the user name. Sometimes it is also not populating the password. I use Safari. I tried one of the sites in Firefox and it worked correctly.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Randomizer

Could you please give me an example of a site you are having trouble with and what exactly the problem is with that particular site? Also if you could please include which browser(s) have the trouble (i.e. Safari doesn't work but Firefox does).

Thanks.

Ben

• crz
    crz
    Community Member
    Options

hi

hope this fits in here.

an example is macuser.de, it stopped working with 1p mini and the browser extension (safari and chrome), only the username is filled in but not the password (so a message with wrong username/password appears), login with 1p on the ipad is working.

other sites are working like before.

thanks

• Ben
    Options

Hi @crz

I just tested this site and I can confirm 1Password for Mac cannot currently fill in the password on this site. Sorry for the inconvenience! At the moment it appears you'd need to copy & paste the password for this site. I'll add this to the list of sites for our developers to take a look at.

Thanks!

Ben

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a problem with this site: http://www.disboards.com/index.php
    I'm also using Safari and in the past, 1Password worked with this site.

• Ben
    Options

Hi Doug,

It appears there are other problems with that page. It never fully completes loading for me. If I press escape 2-3x to force it to stop loading, 1Password then works properly. But there is something they are trying to load on that page that doesn't load properly and that causes difficulties.

Thanks.

Ben

• crz
    crz
    Community Member
    Options

thanks bwoodruff

• @crz: I looked into macuser.de and we were indeed filling the password field but they have some interesting code that hides the real password field until the "placeholder" password field is clicked. I fixed this on my local machine and the fix will appear in 4.2, starting with beta 5.

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks much Ben!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome Doug! If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

I finding the issue now with many of the sites I visit every day using Safari. All are sites I had no issues with until recently. Examples:

1. www.investors.com - fills in nothing
    2. Fidelity Investments via login.fidelity.com - fills in only password, no user id
    3. Charles Schwab via www.schwab.com - nothing filled
    4. TD Ameritrade via www.tdameritrade.com - nothing filled
    5. www.aaii.com

There are others. What has changed that would cause this? It's frustrating to have to copy / paste all the time now.

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

Also - referring back to my initial e-mail. I use Safari and this is there the issues lie. I tried a couple of them using Firefox and they were fine.

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

just tried all five examples in Firefox and all worked. Confirms the issue is with 1P in Safari.

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also experiencing this problem and I only use Safari. With some of the sites, 1Password fills the user name and password but I still need to click the 'log in' button. Other sites I need to click the mini button two or three times before the info is filled. And there are others that I have to copy and paste. I've been using 1Password for years and have never seen this happen.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@Randomizer: Thanks for listing some sites that filling is giving you trouble with in Safari, but not in Firefox.

@Randomix and Doug: Which versions of 1Password (main app, and extensions in browsers you use) and OS X are are you running?

If it's the MAS version of 1P4 and you're having autosubmit (not autofill) issues, here's a package installer for a tiny script you can install that gives autosubmit an extra kick for it to work:

1PasswordAutosubmit.pkg

If you get an error with the installer try clicking Install for me only once to get past it:

That might help with this, Doug:

… but I still need to click the 'log in' button.

Do you have an examples of sites where it's taking multiple tries before filling is successful?

Thanks in advance for that additional information!

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running 1Password V4.1.2(412009)
    Safari Extension 1Password (beta) 4.2.0b3
    OS X 10.9.1

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Options

I followed your suggestion, I see it isn't shown here now so must have been deleted. I updated my browser extension for Safari and now I'm running v4.1.0. I guess this really isn't an upgrade but so far, things are working better.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You caught me, Doug. :)

For the moment, with the issues you've reported, switching from the older 4.2.x beta extension to non-beta 4.1.0 was a preferable suggestion to updating to a newer beta. I retracted my original reply before being quite ready to post an update.

Thanks for the feedback with using 4.1.0. Glad to hear that it's positive so far.

• Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Options

So far, everything is working fine so I think your suggestion has solved my problem. Auto-fill using the mini works great now. Do I need to update to a newer version extension? I was a beta tester for a long time before installing the MAS version so I assumed that is why the browser extension was also the beta version. Am I missing something here? I'm not complaining as things are back to normal (or seem to be) once again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi Doug,

The 1Password application (MAS or website/beta) and its extensions are installed and updated separately. The MAS and website/beta apps use different data files so it's trickier to switch between them than beta and non-beta extensions. If the 4.1.0 extension is working okay for you then you're not missing anything sticking with the 4.1.0 extension until 4.2.0 is released. Sometimes changes during betas (both app and extension) can temporarily cause issues with something that was previously working in non-betas, which sounds like what happened when you were using the 4.0.2.b3 extension.

The old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" adage can be applicable when choosing to use beta software instead of what's currently working. :)

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

Checking back in. Not sure I've seen a solution. Oddly - this just started recently. These sites and most others were fine before in Safari. Also - now I am finding that a couple of the sites are now working again. Fidelity now works. Ameritrade - nothing. Investors.com - nothing, charlesschwab - just user name - no password. It's spotty. What is the cause?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Randomizer,

Which versions of 1Password (main app and browser extension) and OX are are you running?

The cause of your issues may be similar to what Doug in Alaska was experiencing with the beta version of the 1Password extension. If you are using it make sure you've updated to at least version 4.2.0.b7. Or, as Doug did, download/install version 4.1.0 from the 1Password Extension page and see if that's more reliable.

You can also try saving a new Login manually and testing it with any site that remains troublesome with the latest beta or 4.1.0 extension.

Please let us know if that helps. Thanks!

• Sapforhire
    Sapforhire
    Community Member
    Options

Just created a new login to the University of Hawaii, MyUH, the site does not fill the user name. Password is filled in so I can manually type user name and then log in.

https://myuh.hawaii.edu/cp/home/displaylogin
    Safari 7.0.2
    1Password 4.1.2
    1Password Extension 4.1.0

So far this is the only site to have this happen.

Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @Sapforhire,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password not filling the username on that site/page. When I manually save a new Login item there only the username was saved and not the password. So that item only fills the username, the opposite of your issue. But when I let 1Password prompt to save the new Login item then only the password is saved and later filled, which reproduces your issue. I've filed a bug report for this.

If you manually save a Login item there, then edit it and add the password, it should successfully fill both fields. Can you give that a try and let me know if it works okay? Thanks!

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

Still having issues. The issues have morphed.
    First - my info:
    iMac running OSX 10.9.2
    Safari running 1Password (beta) extension 4.2.0.b11 - this version was required and recommended by folks on this site when upgraded as the auto install kept installing v3.9, which did not work.

Now - how it has morphed:

• some of the sites where it previously did not populate it now does
    • others still do not work and I believe some others have been now added
    • none (working and not working) will fill and submit ... even though I have fill and submit activated.

Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Randomizer,

I'm sorry 1Password autofill and autosubmit are giving you inconsistent results with the Safari extension. Are any of the troublesome sites ones you mentioned earlier in post #11? Have you tried saving a new Login manually for those or any others?

… Safari running 1Password (beta) extension 4.2.0.b11 - this version was required and recommended by folks on this site when upgraded as the auto install kept installing v3.9, which did not work.

4.2.0.b12 is now the most recent beta extension for Safari. It's not required that you use the beta if you'd rather download/install version 4.1.0 from the 1Password Extension page. Which version of the main 1Password application are you running?

I'm sorry to hear you're both having some issues with Dropbox syncing. Since multiple systems/devices are involved we'd like to work with you directly in email to determine the cause and help you resolve it.

So we can check if something from version 3 that might be interfering with the version 4 extension please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum at agilebits dot com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks!

• Randomizer
    Randomizer
    Community Member
    Options

Hello - I uninstalled the beta extension and then installed the regular one and it appears to have corrected the issue on the Safari extension issue. I have several family members that use 1P across a two iMacs and several iPhones. I would like to move all of us to iCloud syncing but the issue that occurred when attempting to move my one child has me concerned.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Randomizer,

Thanks for letting us know you've had success using the non-beta version of the Safari extension. I'm sorry there are still unresolved issues when using the 4.2.0 beta and we'd certainly like to fix those before the final 4.2.0 if you do give the beta (4.2.0.b13 at the moment) another try. Any issues specific to the 1Password 4 beta application and/or its extensions can be reported in the Mac Beta subforum. Detailed "this works in 4.1.0 but not in the 4.2.0 beta" examples are particularly helpful for the developers.

Your Moving from Dropbox to iCloud syncing - issue topic is unrelated to this one so let's focus on that where it already is. :)

This discussion has been closed.