Cursor position resetting in 1P mini

Options
zzzamboni
zzzamboni
Community Member

Hi,

I've noticed an unsettling behavior in 1P mini since the upgrade to 1P4. When I open it, if there are multiple logins associated with the site, or in my search results, I can move the cursor with the arrow keys, but after a few seconds the cursor position resets to the top. Since it seems to happen at a random time, this has caused me often to end up pressing Enter on the wrong item. It seems to happen only once after 1P mini is open. I have captured a small snippet of video that shows the problem (video blurred intentionally, but you can see where the cursor is): https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/46d3fb88-d702-4075-bef9-0ce5b0faad6f/08a15a2a89c1088d64ee8d5323021bbe

I have noticed this since I upgrade to 1P4. I'm currently at version 4.1.3 (413002) on OS X 10.9.1.

Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @zzzamboni,

Thanks for reporting this and posting the video clip. After you arrow key navigate to highlight a matching item in 1P mini does that item unhighlight if you wait long enough? So far I haven't been able to reproduce that behavior with steps like:

• Open 1P mini.
    • Tap 's', then down-arrow a few times to highlight an item.
    • Wait awhile and the item remains highlighted.

However, if the cursor pointer is somewhere in the 1P mini window (under its toolbar) when opened then its movement affects item highlighting, sometimes similar to what you're describing. I occasionally do that unintentionally when switching between keyboard and mouse usage in 1P mini. Might you be doing the same?

• zzzamboni
    zzzamboni
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @oversoul,

tl;dr: my problem was caused by Bartender. Solved by setting the 1P mini icon in Bartender to either always or never be shown.

Thanks for your reply, which made me realize what the problem was: I'm using Bartender (http://www.macbartender.com) to hide some menu items - I had the 1P mini icon set to show in the Bartender bar, and (this is the critical part) to be shown in the main bar for 5 seconds upon updates. So here's what was happening:

• I activate 1P mini, its icon updates, Bartender moves it to the main icon bar
    • After 5 seconds of not moving the cursor, Bartender would consider it to have stop updating and move it back to its icon bar
    • This change would cause the cursor in the menu to lose focus and reset to the top.

If I set the 1P mini icon to either always appear in the main bar (i.e. not managed by Bartender) or to never appear in the main bar (i.e. always hidden in the Bartender bar), then the problem goes away.

This is a perfect example of "debugging by confession": I had been dealing with this for months, but explaining it here, and reading your reply, made me look into it deeper than before and realize that it was not a 1P problem after all. Thanks! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Nice sleuthing there, @zzzamboni. :)

I also use Bartender (quite a favorite utility), with 1Password 4 configured like this:

Interestingly, in my testing here with 4.2.BETA-8, if 1P mini is activated when Show Item in Menu Bar (for 5 Seconds) is enabled mini's window still opens near the display's top right corner (as usual) as its icon appears further down the left side of the menu bar (instead of usually remaining hidden on the Bartender Bar). And a highlighted item in mini remains highlighted when its icon disappears after five seconds. And if I close/reopen mini and highlight an item before five seconds mini's window then opens under the icon, yet the item still remains highlighted when the icon disappears.

You're welcome to try the beta and see if that changes the interaction between 1P mini and Bartender, or wait for the 4.2 update which should be out relatively soon. Or I could retest here later with 4.1.3, although with your discovery and workaround I'm not sure it benefits you even if I could reproduce the same thing. :)

Thanks for delving deeper into this!

• zzzamboni
    zzzamboni
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk,

Thanks for the pointer! I will check out the beta when I have some time. For now I'm happy just having configured Bartender exactly the way you showed above.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @zzzamboni,

Thanks for inspiring me to tinker with my Bartender configuration a bit more. :)

This discussion has been closed.