New 1Password Install Not Restoring From '1p4_zip' File

Options
Scott Patterson
Scott Patterson
Community Member

Hello - I have re-installed 1Password from the App Store.

Before reformatting my computer I went into 1Password, went to backups, and created a backup. Then clicked on the "Show Files" button, copied those files located in "/Users/UserName/Library/Containers/XYZ1234.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups" and copied them to my external backup.

Upon opening the re-installed program there was no option for the "1p4_zip" file extension. I installed dropbox and for some reason the backups there were way old and missing 60 or so items (all of my secure notes, all of my software licenses, etc). I went to my external hard drive and copied the 32 "1p4_zip" files saved the night prior from paragraph two and pasted them into the new /Data/Library/Backups folder. Restarted the app, entered my password, went to "Backups" then clicked "Restore", selected the latest file and got this notice "Are you sure you want to restore this backup? Your existing data will be backed up first and then 1Password will exit. You will need to restart 1Password manually." Nothing happened. Tried it again. Nothing. Restarted, no updates, still missing a ton of data.

Please help! I really need my data back.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Scott,

I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble you've had with 1Password! Let's get you sorted out:

• Open 1Password, and set it up as a new user, and use the same Master Password as you had before.
    • Once you have a blank vault, click File > Backup so the backup directory is created.
    • In Preferences > Backups, click Find Backup, and navigate to the 1P4_zip file you want to restore from. Choose it. (If you happen to get a message that adding the backup failed, don't worry. Our next step should fix this.)
    • Now quit 1Password and relaunch it, then click File > Restore, and the 1P4_zip you chose should be in the list, along with the blank backup you had made before. Select the one you chose to import, and restore.

This should get all your data back into 1Password, but please let me know if you run into any snags, we're here for you!

• Scott Patterson
    Scott Patterson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I tried using your method and am getting the following error upon step 2. "Failed to create backup: Error Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=1206 "Unable to backup database because a backup or restore is already in progress..."

Upon searching forums it said to restart 1Password Mini from the help menu, that didn't solve the issue. I also restarted the entire computer with no luck.

Look forward to getting suggestions. I'm on Mavericks 10.9.1.

Thanks,
    Scott

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Scott,

Let's take a bit of a closer look at your system. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Scott Patterson
    Scott Patterson
    Community Member
    Options

Sent! Thanks :-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks, Scott. We've received your report and are now working with you through email to resolve this issue.

• Scott Patterson
    Scott Patterson
    Community Member
    Options

Agilbits team worked with me to successfully resolve my issue. Awesome support!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Scott,

Thanks for letting us know that you're all sorted out, and thanks so much for the kind words! Do let us know if you hit any further snags, we're here for you :)

This discussion has been closed.