Feature Request: Override default web browser

Options
Tibbar
Tibbar
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

I use separate web browsers for banking, email, and general browsing. My chances of visiting a malicious website on the browser that handles banking, for example, are slim because I don't check webmail on that application or visit other sites.

It would be great if 1Password included an option for overriding the system default browser (the one I've set for casual browsing) and allow a user-specified one for security reasons (Open & Fill for bank websites). In its simplest form, this override could be implemented as a global preference. Better yet, you could assign a preferred browser per 1Password entry with options for resetting or mass-setting browsers for a selection of entries. If for some reason the browser can't be found, just open the system default one.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @Tibbar,

Thanks for the request.

You might take a look at Choosy, or something similar, to provide this type of functionality. Because of it there really hasn't been as pressing a need to build it directly into 1Password.

Another option is to create 1Click Bookmarks for specific 1Password Login items in your browsers of choice and use them to open and fill with corresponding sites. And if you don't want certain items to appear in 1Password mini and accidentally be used from there you can set their Display option to Never Display in Browsers. Sort of the inverse of the issue this article covers:

Account items no longer appear in 1Password mini

I hope that helps. :)

• craigsyverson
    craigsyverson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

Thanks for your reply to Tibbar's Feature Request. Just wanted to add another vote for Tibbar's suggestion - exactly as it was stated. I use the 1Password app when moving between sites, and some creaky old banking sites simply fail on my default browser. To be able to assign a custom browser to an individual entry would be very helpful. Meanwhile, I'll try your suggestion.

Cheers,

Craig

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback and the vote, Craig ( @craigsyverson ).

While I'm not aware of immediate plans to add this functionality the rekindled interest in it doesn't go unnoticed. :)

• step101
    step101
    Community Member
    Options

I was looking for this exact feature as well. So please consider adding this feature in a future version. It would have my vote as well :-)
    It would be great to be able to set custom browser on an item level.

Regards
    Lars

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've tallied your vote for this feature, Lars ( @step101 ). Thanks for your interest!

• Bill McCaig
    Bill McCaig
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bill McCaig

Thanks for sharing your vote here. :)

• tleaming
    tleaming
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Absolutely would be useful

• Ben
    Options

Thanks! :)

• arnoldjm
    arnoldjm
    Community Member
    Options

YAVFTF (Yet Another Vote For This Feature)

I'm relatively new to 1Pv5 on Mac OS 10. I have essentially the same usage pattern as Tibbar. I thought it was just my inexperience which was preventing me from figuring out how to assign different browsers to different login items. 1Click Bookmarks may be a work-around but implementing this capability would be better.

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @arnoldjm! :)

This discussion has been closed.