Firefox extension with dual monitor

Options
Jeffg53
Jeffg53
Community Member

I am running an iMac on Mavericks with a dual monitor setup. I have Firefox running on the full screen on the second monitor. I also have the 1Password plugin installed. My problem is that, when I click on the plugin icon, the dropdown menu appears but the detail window is hidden. To be able to use the dropdown, I have to drag the Firefox window to the left to make room for the detailed window.

Apologies if this is unclear. If I knew how to post screenshots, it would be a lot simpler.

Cheers,
Jeff

Comments

• Jeffg53
    Jeffg53
    Community Member
    Options

and to add to my first story, the same problem exists with Chrome. I'm not going to bother with Safari

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jeffg53,

I'm sorry you're having this misbehavior with 1Password on your dual monitor setup. I believe this is a known issue and our developers are working hard to get 1Password mini (the interface for the browser extensions) to behave properly with multiple monitors.

We'd be glad to see any screenshots you'd like to post that help confirm it is the same issue. Here are general instructions:

After uploading an image to your favorite third-party hosting site (Dropbox, CloudApp, etc.) it's easy to reference it in a post here by first clicking the "Image" icon in the reply box toolbar:

… then pasting the URL into the dialog box that appears:

… like what I just did to add those two images in this post. :)

• Jeffg53
    Jeffg53
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Here's a screen shot with the Firefox window moved over a little. You can see that the detail window window is cut off at the edge of the monitor.

• Jeffg53
    Jeffg53
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

and another with the window occupying the full screen, the detail box is hidden beyond the edge.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jeffg53,

Thanks so much for providing those screenshots to help diagnose the issue. 1Password Mini has actually been having trouble with multiple monitors for a while now. Our developers are working hard on getting this fixed, and I'll be sure to mention to them that you're keen to see a solution soon :)

• Jeffg53
    Jeffg53
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan, keen is an understatement.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Thanks again for posting the images, @Jeffg53.

Instead of clicking the 1Password extension icon in Firefox's toolbar, have you tried using Show 1Password mini and Fill Login on current web page keyboard shortcuts? And if the Show mini app icon in the menu bar option is disabled under the General tab of Preferences then the 1Password mini window will be centered on the screen instead of relative to the 1Password menu bar icon location.

You can also Control-Click or Right-Click in a browser window/tab and select 1Password from the context menu to open the mini window relative to the cursor position.

I hope that gives you better control over where mini's window will appear until we've fixed its problem with multiple monitor usage.

• Jeffg53
    Jeffg53
    Community Member
    Options

SJK, many thanks. Right clicking is the way to go for me. I'm not big on shortcuts. I'm a happy camper again. I can't see why I'd bother doing it any other way.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @Jeffg53.

I'm pleased to hear that the context menu "workaround" for the bug actually turns out to be a solution for you. :)

Even better after the bug's fixed so you'll have the choice of also using the extension's toolbar icon with mini being where it belongs.

This discussion has been closed.