Upgrade to 1Password4 -> no more syncing with iOS 1Password v3?

Options
mstac
mstac
Community Member

Hi,
I just bought 1Password4 for Mac, to upgrade my 1Password 3 which I had bought in 2010.
I used to sync 1Password between my iPhone and my Mac, first through wifi then through DropBox.
In Septermber 2013, dropbox syncing was dropped from the 1Password 3 for iOS, which I could understand since it was due to a change from DropBox end.
Today I finally purchased 1Password 4 for mac after reading raving reviews for the past 6 months.
However I didn't expect to have to upgrade on my iPhone too, that's a pretty expensive upgrade... ($25 for the mac + $18 for the iPhone) Do I understand well? Are there no syncing option between 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 3 for iOS?

My concern is actually 1Password 4 for iOS was first released in 2012, when will version 5 be released, and most importantly, will version 4 be unsupported just like version 3 was?

Thx
Martin

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @‌mstac

I can certainly understand your concern here and hopefully I can offer some guidance.

Hi, I just bought 1Password4 for Mac, to upgrade my 1Password 3 which I had bought in 2010.

Thanks for your support!

In Septermber 2013, dropbox syncing was dropped from the 1Password 3 for iOS, which I could understand since it was due to a change from DropBox end.

Correct. Just to clarify, for anyone reading who isn't familiar with the situation... we have a guide on this here:

If you use 1Password 3 for iOS and Dropbox sync, take action by September 1

that's a pretty expensive upgrade...

Admittedly 1Password is a premium product, and is priced as such. We hope that premium shows in the quality of the software and support we provide. :)

Are there no syncing option between 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 3 for iOS?

There are no syncing options between 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 3 for iOS, correct.

My concern is actually 1Password 4 for iOS was first released in 2012, when will version 5 be released, and most importantly, will version 4 be unsupported just like version 3 was?

This is a legitimate concern. 1Password 4 for iOS was released December of 2012, and was the first paid upgrade to the 1Password for iOS product. To say when v5 might come out would be purely speculation. Development on it has not even been announced at this point. If you take a look at our development & testing cycle, you'll see it generally takes a fair amount of time for a major release to make it through that process.

Unless changes are made in regards to how the App Store operates, once a product is removed from sale, it cannot be updated. So as of now it does appear that any future major releases would prevent us from supporting previous versions (from an updates perspective). We do of course still provide technical/customer support for v3 (and I would imagine v4 when v5 comes).

I hope that helps. Thanks.

Ben

• mstac
    mstac
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben for your reply.
    Actually what really disappointed me was when i discovered there had been a sale back in August 2013 and in December 2013 on 1Password 4 for iOS... Any chance this could happen again soon?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mstac,

Unfortunately we don't usually pre-announce sales, but we do try to publicize them as much as possible once they happen. To be sure you don't miss a thing, stay tuned here ... or check out our blog, follow us on Twitter (@1Password), or sign up for our newsletters.

We do tend to get excited about new stuff, so we'll be sure to announce as soon as we have something! :)

This discussion has been closed.