Migrating from Dropbox to iCloud

Options
Bryan Case
Bryan Case
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

I just bought a new Mac and would like to synch with iCloud instead of Dropbox. Is there a way to move all my saved login info from my keychain file in Dropbox into iCloud?

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Bryan

Great question! Certainly this may be possible. Before we get into the specifics though could you please tell me a little bit more about your 1Password environment? What devices & versions are you using?

Thanks!

Ben

• Bryan Case
    Bryan Case
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,
    Thanks for your willingness to help. I have been using 1Password for Windows Version 1.0.9.340 for some time now on a Windows 7 machine. I just installed version 4 on my new Mac. I want to move away from dropbox because I store so many other types of files there and I don't want to synch all those files on my different computers.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Bryan,

Just to confirm, will you only be using 1Password 4 on your new Mac and retiring 1Password for Windows? iCloud syncing is limited to 1Password for Mac and iOS. Dropbox is our cross-platform syncing solution, which also supports using 1PasswordAnywhere as an alternative method of accessing your 1Password data.

I want to move away from dropbox because I store so many other types of files there and I don't want to synch all those files on my different computers.

Selective Sync can help you with managing that. There's more about it this Dropbox Help Center article:

Dropbox - How do I select which folders to sync to my computer?

The image there is outdated, showing the Advanced tab selected instead of this Accounts tab:

I hope that helps. And we're still here to help you move from Dropbox to iCloud syncing with 1Password if that's what you'll be doing. :)

• Bryan Case
    Bryan Case
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,
    Very helpful! Thank you. You've caused me to rethink my plan. I do wish to continue using 1Password on my PC and had not thought through the implications of iCloud. Problem solved!

• Jasper
    Options

Hi Bryan,

You're welcome on behalf of Ben and @sjk. I'm glad we were able to help. :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.